The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Dlugos, Buckeye998, Gray_Ghost, Gdads51, dt235sd, rfs56trk, BCBill, Otto Skorzeny, Dusty53), 236 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1556209 08/23/2024 12:04 PM
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Hoping I can get some ideas re: repairing my driver side door handle ('49 3600).
The splines are stripped smooth, so the handle wobbles. I'd drilled a hole in the latch shaft to accept the handle's set screw - so it doesn't fall off but handle is still 'loose'.
i know reproductions are available but I'd prefer to stay with the original handle if at all possible.
Any ideas on how to re-spline the handle - with some sort of insert, etc. would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
IMG_3020.jpg (114.82 KB, 119 downloads)
IMG_3018.jpg (77.62 KB, 119 downloads)

Last edited by Phak1; 08/23/2024 12:11 PM. Reason: Removed [img] links
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
JB Weld?

Or tap the shaft for a longer set screw.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks Otto
I did tap the shaft for the set screw but the handle splines are so worn it still wobbles.
I haven't 100% ruled out a JB Weld solution, but I do want the handle to remain removable.

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
To my knowledge, nor have I seen rebuild kits for either the door remote operator or new splines for the handle.

I replaced my remote operators with aftermarket ones and they work great. There hidden behind the door panel so nobody would know the difference. Your best bet for the handle is to replace it with an old original. They come up on eBay quite often or place an ad here in the “Truck Parts Wanted” forum. I'm sure you’ll get some results.

Here is a link to the remote door latch operators.
Left
Right

Last edited by Phak1; 08/23/2024 12:41 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks Phak1.
I think the splines on the remote operator may still be usable, but will consider replacing if necessary with aftermarket, as tthey're pretty affordable.
I did see a set of handles claimed to be NOS on Ebay but they were pretty pricey.
I will go ahead and post for a handle in the "Truck Parts Wanted" forum as you suggest... and continue the hunt on Ebay as well. Thanks again!

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
You don’t necessarily need NOS. You can find used original in good serviceable condition, fairly reasonable cost wise.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Originally Posted by 1949chevy3600
... I will go ahead and post for a handle in the "Truck Parts Wanted" forum as you suggest... and continue the hunt on Ebay as well...
And HE DID! (And now, he's out of moderation! thumbs_up )


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
Coat the shaft with beeswax as a "release compound" before you use the JB Weld, or use a couple of layers of Saran Wrap over the shaft before molding the JB over the splines. It's an old gunsmithing trick we use when glass-bedding a rifle action.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2013
Posts: 4
Thanks Jerry! If I can't find a used OEM handle with intact splines, I will definitely give this gunsmithing trick a spin!

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
Butchers wax or plain old wax shoe polish will work as well. Don’t gob it in, as you’ll want to make an impression of the splines.

Last edited by Phak1; 08/23/2024 6:58 PM. Reason: Grammar

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
I usually use the same paraffin sealing wax that I mix into my bullet casting lube. Melt it, and apply a layer or two with a small brush. A tinner's acid brush works well for jobs like that. It gives a thin, durable layer that won't get displaced by whatever casting medium you use.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
Originally Posted by 1949chevy3600
Thanks Otto
I did tap the shaft for the set screw but the handle splines are so worn it still wobbles.
I haven't 100% ruled out a JB Weld solution, but I do want the handle to remain removable.

What about building up the shaft with epoxy so it doesn't wobble? Turn it down with sandpaper so it's a tight press on fit and lock it in with a tight set screw.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Here is what I have run into with aftermarket door handles and knobs. They are not made correctly for original shafts where the set screws are supposed to go.
The issue is the depth where the splines end. There is a recess in the shaft for the set screws to go-to prevent the handle from falling off. This recess in new handles in too deep preventing the set screws to engage it.
Another issue is that the set screw is not tapered to a point like the originals and does come with a lock screw to keep it from backing out. I don't believe that the threads are the same as originals either, preventing you from using the original screw and the lock screw.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0