The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, TUTS 59, 55shaker, MikeStone1953, Wally / Montana), 138 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,258
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
I've done a lot of looking and haven't come up with an answer so I'm coming to the experts. I'm going to need to have some work done on the rear end of my '56 3100. It has a roar at lower speeds. I believe it is not original to the truck so here is a picture and the code appears to be KAS 137W87. There's also a small lettering higher and to the right that appears to be something I can't identify that looks like ?-H Oh yah, it's a 12 bolt.
More info...casting numbers on the rear end: 3896890, GM86, N
Attachments
20240507_104949.jpg (204.63 KB, 81 downloads)

Last edited by MickeyP; 08/22/2024 6:47 PM.

1956 3100 three speed 6 cyl. Stock with a few upgrades.
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,898
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,898
Mickey - It took me a little bit to remember where I saw the decoding details to help you answer your question, but here you go! smile The pics snapped below from 1983 and 1984 Chevy Parts books shows your info decodes as follows:

KAS = 1978 or 79 - C10 - 8.875 carrier with 3.07 gear set, Standard carrier (non-Posi)

137 = 137th day of the calendar year (no idea how to tell which year?)

W = Warren plant

87 = Shift code

As far as I can figure, this is correct. Others with more knowledge of the 12-Bolts may have more details. Hope this is helpful. wink
Attachments


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Apr 2024
Posts: 237
Dan's the MAN! I've been looking , almost, everywhere. I found "KA" for a 66-69 Chevelle but that's all. I did get the 3.07 ratio by pulling the cover and getting numbers off the ring gear.

Last edited by MickeyP; 08/25/2024 1:59 AM.

1956 3100 three speed 6 cyl. Stock with a few upgrades.

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0