| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
1 members (51sub),
128
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,125 Posts1,056,338 Members48,440 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | I am rebuilding a torque tube rear axle for a '52 3100. I needed to remove the side carrier bearings but don't have the J-zpx7!@ bearing puller, or any 2 jaw puller at all. I made one out of metal and grade eight fine thread rod I had laying around. I believe that I have everything which I have ever owned laying around. Self-admitted hoarder. There is a picture of one in "The Book" which I copied that best I could. The only issue that I had was fabricating the adjustable cross strap which prevents the jaws from walking out from under the bearing. I just used a giant hose clamp instead. I cut through the outer roller bearing cage and now the roller bearings are all over the shop. I removed the cage and bearings so that I could apply heat directly to the inner bearing race with a TIG torch cranked all the way up, set in AC mode. I'd send a pic, but it looks just like the picture in "The Book." You go to the end of the driveline section and see it. Once it got hot enough to cook the 90 wt gear oil trapped between the race and the carrier, it was ready to come off. Worked like a champ. I could probably have rented a puller, but that is not how I do.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 47 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Feb 2020 Posts: 47 | If no longer using the old bearing, I always take the cage and rollers off and cut a groove into the bearing with a wiz wheel. Don't go to far. Then use a chisel, cover the end with a rag of some kind, smack it in the groove to split it open.Taps right off. Just another way to do it.
Last edited by gmc-is-me; 08/20/2024 2:00 AM.
just retired and finally making headway on my project truck. 1940 GMC AC152.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | I thought about than. There is enough room to get most of the way through without hitting the casing, but I was on a mission. I wasted most of a day making that 2 jaw puller and probably will not ever pull it out of the drawer ever again. This hobby in not supposed to make any sense. 
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,809 | After removing the cage and the rollers, I use a fine-tipped acetylene torch flame to heat an area about 1/4" wide on the inner race until it turns red. That expands it enough that it can be tapped off with a punch or a blunt chisel. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,281 | After removing the cage and the rollers, I use a fine-tipped acetylene torch flame to heat an area about 1/4" wide on the inner race until it turns red. That expands it enough that it can be tapped off with a punch or a blunt chisel. Lots of ways to skin this particular cat! Jerry That worked for me on the skinny side, as I was able to get punch in the gap where the two jaw bearing remover grabs the bottom of the race and tap the race off. On the fat side, there is no room to get anything into that little gap under the bearing race.
Last edited by 52Carl; 08/21/2024 12:55 AM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | |
| |
| |