I’ve been looking for a drop front axle OR lowering springs, for the front of my stock 1946 1/2 ton AK. Apparently, they can’t be found ANYWHERE!! However, I can find the 1947-1954 drop front axle from several vendors. My question is, are they interchangeable? Can I use a 1947-54 AD front axle on my 1946 AK truck?
Or even better…..does anyone know where I can buy lowering springs or a dropped axle for the front of my 1946 1/2 ton?
I’m only looking for a 3” drop.
(Sid’s is not an option as he has stopped dropping axles and he doesn’t have any “in stock” for sale).
Care taker of a 1946 1/2 ton. Pretty much period correct original. Danny T, from B’ham, Al
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Thanks Otto. I knew they weren’t the same axle or same part number. But my question is, will they interchange. Can I use an AD axle on my 46 AK without modifying my truck.
Care taker of a 1946 1/2 ton. Pretty much period correct original. Danny T, from B’ham, Al
According to the 1929-54 Chevrolet Master Parts and Accessories Catalog, your 1946 AK shares the same main axle "beam" part number: GM# 3686572. Beyond the axle itself, you need to consider if you are switching over your existing spindles/brakes/steering components between the axles. If not you need to look at the differences in brakes as they changed from Huck style to Bendix in 1951. Brake changes could complicate your swap unless you take them into consideration.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)