The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,127
Posts1,056,680
Members48,452
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
Hi All -

This may sound like a question with a simple answer but from what I've learned in other posts, deciding on which new coil to get (resistor/no resistor) can be tricky.

I have a '40 Chevy 1/2 ton with a '53 235. It's a 12 volt system with a newish alternator, a ballast resistor on the firewall that has not been connected since I've had the truck (10 years). Recently, because it had been sitting in my garage for a year or more, I was hesitant to start it up with old gas and drained the tank, put new gas in, and replaced the fuel filter (with a large-ish Fram inline filter. Because It still wouldn't start (with new gas too), I noticed that the fuel filter was not filling up and fuel not getting to the carb. In other posts (thanks) it has been documented that inline filters seldom fill up visually but work none the less.

The fuel pump seems to work with good flow before the filter. (still need to check after the filter). But the truck still won't start. Then I noticed a crack in the top of the coil - could this be the issue? I was hopeful but plugs still have a healthy spark when observed outside the engine while cranking it over. Could it be a weak spark due to the crack?

I bought a carb rebuild kit thinking it may have been clogging in there that is keeping the engine from running but don't want to start that project until I've ruled out all other issues.

Any thoughts on the coil, or anything else, is welcomed!

thanks - Doug

Picture of the coil and the fuel filter below.
Attachments
Fuel Filter.png (669.18 KB, 130 downloads)
Coil.png (654.1 KB, 130 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,296
That coil must have gotten extremely hot at some point. You need a new one. Buy a 12 volt coil without internal resistance and use a ballast resistor. If you have a stomp starter, you should put a 2-pole starter switch on it, and wire it so that you will have 12 volts coming from the side post on the 2-pole switch directly to the coil while the starter switch in depressed. Once the engine starts and you take your foot off of the stomp pedal, the 12 volts to the coil will then be diverted through the ballast resistor, giving you around 9 volts to the coil. Without the ballast resistor, your points won't last until next Thursday.
You need to inspect the condition of the points in case the engine was run without a ballast resistor prior.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
Yes. Buy a new one.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 263
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2021
Posts: 263
I agree you should replace it. I think you also questions the external resistor ballast. As I understood it the external ballast is required for when you install spark plugs that do not have an internal resistance, otherwise no. That’s what I’ve read researching the same concerns.

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
Thanks Carl - I've been driving the truck for about 10 years (to shows only because I had that kind of insurance) and have not had a points problem so I assume there is a resistor in the coil (?) or alternator(?) or somewhere(?) but good advice anyway. I just opened up the distributor cap and things look clean in there an not burned so not sure if that's a useful data point. I had a bad overheating problem for the first few months and lifted the water pump/fan, adjusted the timing, and got a new radiator to fix it - perhaps that was the heat that split the coil top.


In your experience is there a specific type or brand of coil that is a good fit for this type of vehicle?

Thanks again - D

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,902
All I have are antique cars. I just buy whatever coil is listed as correct. I have a preference for Standard Motor Products ignition brand parts if available. May or may not be better but had a good reputation when I started working on cars.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 557
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2022
Posts: 557
Search online for a NOS made in USA coil. Otherwise it's a crapshoot. Most offshore brands are proven untrustworthy. I have a Standard Motor Products 6v coil made in Mexico that is doing fine.


~~ Jethro
1954 3100
Back to Life
In the Dity Gallery
1951 3100 (gone) / 1956 4400 (still in the neighborhood) / 1957 6400 with dump body (retired) / 1959 3100 panel (in the woods junked) / 1978 Custom Deluxe K10 / 1993 S-10 4.3 / 2004 Chevy Crew Cab / 1945 John Deere H / 1952 John Deere B / 1966 John Deere 2510 / 1967 John Deere 1020
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,478
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,478
Originally Posted by TexasA&M48Truck
As I understood it the external ballast is required for when you install spark plugs that do not have an internal resistance, otherwise no. That’s what I’ve read researching the same concerns.

You are reading incorrect information. The purpose of a ballast resistor is to reduce the amount of current (and voltage) flowing through the coil primary winding and the points in the distributor once the engine is started. Makes the points last longer.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
Please listen to Jethro about the made in USA part. You can find some on eBay and buying one of those made in USA coils will keep you away from the worst of the products out there. And there are some horrible imported ignition coils being made today. Good luck!


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,837
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,837
A "12V" coil primary winding is actually made to operate correctly at around 9.0-9.5 volts, which is what is available from a "12 volt" battery during a cold start due to the load the starter motor puts on the battery. Once the engine starts and the charging system tops off the battery, system voltage is around 14.5 volts. The ignition ballast resistor drops the voltage the coil sees during normal running to prevent the points from burning. "Resistor" spark plug wires were invented in the 1950s to reduce radio and television interference caused by the magnetic fields developed around copper or steel core ignition wires. The ballast resistor works in the low voltage primary ignition circuit. Resistance plug wires are in the high voltage part of the ignition system.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0