The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (78buckshot, 49oneton, Napco Man, Otto Skorzeny, tclederman), 121 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,115
Posts1,056,623
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1550247 06/21/2024 10:52 PM
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,504
I'm sure everyone has already heard this and I'll also post in the IT Short Bus, but a friendly reminder that support for Windows 10 will end in October 2025. Which will be here sooner than you think. I will probably remind you again. When it happens you have at least 6 options I think. You can...

1. Change to Windows 11...if your computer is capable, that is. Windows 11 has specific hardware requirements. Mine doesn't qualify in a BIG way.

2. Stick your head in the sand and pretend it won't affect you. The hackers will add you to their Christmas Card list if you go this route.

3. Buy a new computer which will have Win 11. You can always mail me your old one. I'll install Linux and donate it to somebody.

4. Billy Bob Gates won't provide free updates any longer but he'll sell them for an undetermined time period. He'll decide how long when he sees how much income this generates. And generate income it will because some business programs just won't work on Windows 11.

5. You can install a micropatch agent (like Opatch). Explaining this could be dangerous. You could doze off and bang your head on your desk at any moment. Basically it is a tiny bit of code which replaces a vulnerable area (of code) in some running applications. See? I caught you. Your eyes were already getting heavy and your head was nodding. Personally I don't think this is the answer you want anyhow so please don't hang your hat on it, but it is sort of an option.

6. Start learning about and using a Linux alternative. In my opinion the smartest of all options because it is free and hackers avoid it. Remember in Linux nobody can do anything unless you give them permission. I don't know about you, but I'm known to get pretty hard-headed when anyone wants permission to steal my stuff and pretend they're me. You have a few different alternatives with Linux. Think of it as ham-flavored lollipops. Odd, but when you get used to it not bad at all.

Puppy Linux is one of my favorites. I own an ancient Toshiba laptop which only has 2 gb of memory and uses (believe it or not) a Pentium 4 cpu as the processor. It was in the trash can at a company who owned my operation and I took it home. I had to purchase a power supply but I have used Puppy Linux on it since around 2009 and there isn't much I can't do with it. I can do word processing, create spreadsheets, store photos, use the internet, watch movies, listen to music, edit photos, do emails, see the Stovebolt site, buy stuff...what more do you need? Now for the surprise: I can do all of this without using a hard drive. A CD and a USB stick is all I need and I think there is a way to just use a USB stick.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 148
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 148
I love this post!

It was late 1996? early 1997? I made Linux my permanent desktop operating system. I think it was Slackware 3 something I cut my teeth on? Please know my memory is not what is used to be. I installed it on a machine that had an Intel 386-16 SX (no math co-processor), with 4 megs (not gigs) of ram and a 20 meg hard drive. Like you, I got the machine for free because nobody wanted it!

I used my first Linux machine during my stint as an "older person" at university. I would remote log into the IBM AIX mainframe on campus from home, to work on my homework.

In the early to mid 2000's I played with Suse Linux, Red Hat Linux, Mandrake Linux, Tiny Linux and even Puppy Linux. I did have a short period playing with Gentoo Linux (which I would never recommend to anyone, even back then). Somewhere around 2010 I started using Debian Linux and I have never looked back.

What was the event that moved me to Linux? At the time, Windows 95 was very established, and found on most desktops. I hated it. The infamous "Blue Screen of Death" where the machine would lock up was so common when using the computer. It drove me nuts. The tipping point for me was when I was in an airport waiting to board a plane, and there was this wall of monitors that would show all the arrival and departure times. Every monitor was showing the “Blue Screen of Death.” I thought to myself, “That’s it! I’m done with Windows!” It was one of my professors at school that suggested I give Linux a try.

My wife has always used whatever current flavor of Windows was available. The different companies she has worked for over the years demanded it. She prefers Windows at home too. I will be building her a new machine this winter with more modern hardware so she can upgrade to Windows 11.

Sorry if this was boring… It sure as heck has nothing to do with old Chevy Trucks! LOL!


-David

1953 2-Ton GMC

I'm a machinist... because engineers need heroes too.
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,088
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,088
This is not boring. First thing that jumped out at me was "the Blue Screen of Death" ... oh, I remember those days with our first computer. frown


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,198
I'm still using that old Atom powered netbook - currently running Open Media Vault with an external hard drive.
Open Media Vault

Still happy with Linux Mint (now 21.3) but I use Brave instead of Firefox.

Last edited by Peggy M; 06/23/2024 6:56 PM. Reason: Remove reference to old thread since we deleted it, since Jon G did a new one.

Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,088
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,088
Jon did an extensive post on the Linux platform. If you have input about it, how about posting it there. We'll leave this thread for comments on the "end of Windows 10 support."

Thanks.
laalaa


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I'm still using Win7.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.

Moderated by  baldeagle, Gord&Fran 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0