So I received a new 12V fuel gauge and trying to install it in it's cage. Are the posts put through the holes of the cage, a small cardboard piece on the backside (outside) of the cage going over the two posts and then two flat washers, and two nuts? Also, has any one else noticed that a 12V replacing a 6V gauge actually sits higher in the cage? If it's supposed be like that, does it affect the needle? Thanks for any advise in advance.
S2
Stewart2 1955.1 3100 Both Owner and P/U have lots of miles, lots of history and need LOTS of TLC Jack of several trades and experiences; Master of none
We've seen the problem with the needle contacting the glass as Carl says. A few people have mentioned that. Adding something behind the rubber sealing ring to push the glass out is one way of solving this and maybe the easiest. Your sequence of assembly is right. I will always use a bit of red paint or a red permanent marker to mark the left connection points (please see image below). 12v switched ignition goes to "E" side of gauge and the sender wire from tank goes to "F" side of gauge.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Thank you, Jon. I also appreciate the suggestions AND, more specifically, the wiring route. I was worried I'd switch the darn things around and have to spend ANOTHER $60. Thank you.
S2
Stewart2 1955.1 3100 Both Owner and P/U have lots of miles, lots of history and need LOTS of TLC Jack of several trades and experiences; Master of none