The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (BC59, cmayna, Peggy M), 144 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,475
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
...You hunt with the cat. smile

I needed to straighten my bent trailer ramps (heavy duty steel things). They were too big and heavy to get into the 20-ton shop press ... So I used a 4x4 and a 22-ton excavator. Took 20 seconds each. smile

And yes, I had punched out before using company equipment for personal projects.
smile
Attachments
20240610_183441[1].jpg (414.78 KB, 230 downloads)
Using an excavator to straighten trailer ramps.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
One of the oldtime philosophers said "Give me a long enough lever and I'll move the world!" Some jobs just require the application of massive amounts of brute force- - - - -finesse be danged! Good job!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,874
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,874
Archimedes


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Idle minds want to know how you bent them in the first place.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
With the joint I work for, I don't post evidence. Someday, I'll tell you a story about a guy who borrowed a truck or two to do some personal work on a weekend. Unbeknownst to him, there was a crew scheduled to work that weekend. They came in and couldn't find their trucks. Not sure if they reported them stolen or not. That guy don't work here no more. Sometimes I have to tell people that even the trash belongs to the company.

Depends on local management/owner policy in those matters.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Originally Posted by John Milliman
...You hunt with the cat. smile
Don't you mean you hunt with the Case? grin
Nice work!


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
On the other hand- - - - -if you're the guy who signs the front of the paycheck, use whatever equipment you want- - - -whenever you want! It's one of the perks that comes with being the "Big Bossman"!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgwXQgjEwWo

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,286
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
On the other hand- - - - -if you're the guy who signs the front of the paycheck, use whatever equipment you want- - - -whenever you want! It's one of the perks that comes with being the "Big Bossman"!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgwXQgjEwWo

Jerry
I remember the first time I heard that song I thought I was hearing 'balls" instead of "boss". That there changes the whole meaning of that song. ")


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 605
I take it the former employee who borrowed the truck for the weekend, didn't ask permission to do so? If he was told it was OK then it wasn't his fault. If not then uh-oh.


1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
He figured "I work for this company. It's a company truck.......) If he had asked permission, they probably would've sent a whole crew to do the work he was doing.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
Oh... BTW, it was my boss' suggestion to use the 9030.

Mark -- One of the benefits of working for Pat -- employees get use company equipment for personal projects. I would never use equipment w/o asking first (common courtesy).
wink


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
Originally Posted by MNSmith
He figured "I work for this company. It's a company truck.......) If he had asked permission, they probably would've sent a whole crew to do the work he was doing.

...and taken it out of his paycheck. nono


Chip

'Rusto-Mod'
'51 Chevy 3600 5 window | C4 Corvette front/rear suspension & drivetrain | everything else looks old and stock
'92 GMC Sonoma GT #15 of 806
'91 GMC Sonoma GT Extended cab 1 of 1
Trucks, Trucks.....and more Trucks
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,085
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,085
Originally Posted by MNSmith
... Sometimes I have to tell people that even the trash belongs to the company.
Gosh, you wouldn't believe the *trash* these builder throw out. Since John's group provides the removal dumpster, there's been some great treasurers he brings home. It seems with the cost of things lately, there is not as much ... which is a good thing. Hopefully, the homeowner is getting a better price for the work being done. Ahh ... we remember the days of dumpster diving during the haydays of homebuilding. Good stories there. (Leave those for John ... laalaa )


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,874
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,874
I built my garage with thousands of dollars worth of "scrap" lumber taken from jobsites.

Need a 4 foot piece of 2x4? Just cut it off a 12 footer and throw the 8 foot piece in the scrap pile.

I got lots of "short" pieces of 2x6 and 2x8 that I used as blocking between rafters and huge scrap pieces of OSB that I used as sheathing,filler panels, etc.

I even got full and partial coils of gun nails tossed in the scrap pile.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Need a 4 foot piece of 2x4? Just cut it off a 12 footer and throw the 8 foot piece in the scrap pile.

That kind of shenanigans have gotten a lot of people fired from the company over the years. That's why even the trash belong to the company.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,874
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,874
If they fired all the Mexicans in Georgia who build things that way, construction would come to a halt in Atlanta. The waste is unfathomable.

I got so much framing material it was mind blowing. Lots of it was full length with nails and screws in it or other pieces attached. Looks like a mistake was made or a change order happened and the stuff was ripped down and scrapped rather than removing the screws and nails and being reused.

I pulled 30+ 8' 2x4 studs out of a construction dumpster. I sandwiched most of them together to make the columns between my garage doors. They're sheathed on both sides with scrap OSB.

You can see all the stains and discoloration on the OSB and the different shades on the free 2x4s.
Attachments
IMG_20190410_153700.jpg (123.03 KB, 122 downloads)
IMG_20190416_192206.jpg (96.96 KB, 122 downloads)
IMG_20190416_192146.jpg (108.9 KB, 123 downloads)
IMG_20190403_195950.jpg (96.79 KB, 123 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
2x4s or 2x6s glued together in that fashion make the best work benches.
And sometimes on job sites you can find pre-made ones if they have enough of a drop off.
I've got a 5 foot long 2 1/2 deep 2x4 bench top from a 'ordered too long of a beam' drop off.


Chip

'Rusto-Mod'
'51 Chevy 3600 5 window | C4 Corvette front/rear suspension & drivetrain | everything else looks old and stock
'92 GMC Sonoma GT #15 of 806
'91 GMC Sonoma GT Extended cab 1 of 1
Trucks, Trucks.....and more Trucks
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,101
The same kind of philosophy is used now as when I was a kid and the electrician working on our house told me it wasn't worth his time to bend down and pick up a dropped wire nut. Not sure why with the cost of lumber now, but labor is expensive too. Paying a laborer to remove nails is apparently more costly than a fresh 2x4. ohwell


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
Well ... I used a few discarded 2x8's to fix a hole in the trailer deck so I could retrieve a Case 590 Super L back Hoe from a job site yesterday. If its laying on the ground, it's fair game. wink


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 11
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jun 2024
Posts: 11
It appears that you have a "Case" against bowed ramps. thumbs_up


1951 Chevrolet 3600 | 1966 Pontiac Lemans/GTO resto-mod
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
Gas X -- Nice! We do appreciate a good pun around here.


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)

Moderated by  MNSmith 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0