The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (52Carl, Wayne67vert, 53 green 1- ton, Otto Skorzeny, 78buckshot, DadsFirstPickup, greenie-reddy), 67 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,713
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 13
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 13
I'm having a lot of issues with the column shift linkage getting stuck. Would like to switch to a floor shift for the 3spd but could end up putting a M20 4spd in down the road. Does anyone know if there is a floor shift set up that would work with the 3spd and possibly the 4spd down the road?

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,496
Have you tried adjusting the shift rods? I know with mine, it would hang up and I would need to stop, move one of the rods to free it up. After adjusting, it works great without hanging up.


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Originally Posted by Anthony Riley
I Does anyone know if there is a floor shift set up that would work with the 3spd and possibly the 4spd down the road?

No, there is not. 3 and 4 speed shifters are totally different, since a Muncie M20 4 speed transmission has 3 shift levers and totally different geometry of the shift linkage. Why create another nightmare instead of just fixing the original problem?
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,117
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,117
Jim Carter offers a rebuilt shift box. LINK
I had the 2-3 shift fork in my transmission worn a bit. I fixed it by building up the worn spot with weld and re-machined it. (PIcs below.) But your shift box could easily be your issue, if adjustment doesn't fix it.
Attachments
IMG_4422.JPG (184.24 KB, 107 downloads)
Worn 2-3 shift fork
IMG_4426.JPG (236.19 KB, 107 downloads)
Weld build-up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,838
Shift boxes are a very poor quality of "pot metal" (aluminum alloy) and are prone to wear and misalignment of the shift rods. The two halves of the box can be file-fitted and shimmed to restore the alignment of everything if they're not allowed to deteriorate too badly or break before being repaired.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 384
R
RLB Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by Anthony Riley
I'm having a lot of issues with the column shift linkage getting stuck. Would like to switch to a floor shift for the 3spd but could end up putting a M20 4spd in down the road. Does anyone know if there is a floor shift set up that would work with the 3spd and possibly the 4spd down the road?
Years ago, I used a 4 spd shifter (out of a mid 60'Lemans or GTO I think) on a 3 spd car transmission in a '66 C10. The extra reverse shift lever part was easy to overcome. Just pull it back as far as it'll go & wire it in that position. That way the shifter can't engage it. The 1 st gear position on the 4 spd shifter becomes the revere position on the 3spd. After almost 50 years, exactly how I mounted it is a little fuzzy now. I did have the advantage of being young and broke , so throwing money at the solution wasn't an option. And I worked in my fathers garage/junkyard business so I had parts vehicles available and a welder, torches, grinders , etc available. Now days if I were in your shoes, I'd decide if I had some fabrication skills & equipment to work with. If the answer is yes, then find a used 4 spd Hurst shifter including the linkage & any other hardware that might be included.. Then pull the transmission out & set it up on the work bench & fabricate your new mounting bracket . Make sure it's located such that the linkage lengths work out correctly. I'm sure you could find examples of aftermarket 3 spd mounting brackets on the Web to get some ideas on how to proceed.

Having said all that, I currently have a M20 in a '66 C10 with the bench seat. Engine & trans are in the stock location. It was very difficult to locate the shift lever so that it cleared the bench seat in any position. If you've got bucket seats, like my old C 10 from 1975, then the shifter location is not a problem.

I found my M20 including the Hurst shifter for 600 bucks on CL. Maybe that's a better option for you.


1966 C-10 Short Stepside
HiPo
Step-by-step ~ and on-going resto build
in the Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
The hurst comp shifter moves the handle forward under the cab. The handle is too low.
So I cut off a portion and then I move it over with a longer handle
2 inches to avoid my knee hitting the handle in reverse. Will not hit the seat. Both trucks 58/59 with 4 speeds are this way.
Attachments
hurstt.jpg (35.04 KB, 72 downloads)
4v.JPG (9.33 KB, 72 downloads)
kkm.JPG (208.15 KB, 72 downloads)
kko.JPG (162.22 KB, 72 downloads)
bootzzw.JPG (205.59 KB, 72 downloads)
1959 Center console.JPG (143.74 KB, 72 downloads)
0f.JPG (200.89 KB, 60 downloads)

Last edited by Guitplayer; 06/02/2024 3:24 PM.

~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
My 3 speed option is much the same . W/O the comp shifter. The angled over Hurst handle
(again too low) with the handle extension. All centered in the cab now. Just one more forward than the other.
It has that SM feel and the handle is closer. Set higher to avoid the bench seat.
Hope this helps.
Attachments
0m.JPG (135.81 KB, 61 downloads)
0k.JPG (134.34 KB, 61 downloads)
0r.JPG (144.73 KB, 61 downloads)
0i.JPG (135.29 KB, 61 downloads)


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 384
R
RLB Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 384
Nice set up. I’m using the 55 thru 57 car shifter, which really helps but is still too far back ( or, under the seat) I had to fabricate a bracket to move shifter forward about 4 inches. The side to side location is not a problem on the 60 to 66 C10. No photo of bracket I fabbed but here’s one of the finished product
Attachments
IMG_2172.jpeg (363.8 KB, 55 downloads)
IMG_2174.jpeg (285.15 KB, 55 downloads)
IMG_1702.jpeg (171.35 KB, 55 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 06/02/2024 8:32 PM. Reason: Remove quote - not necessary ;)

1966 C-10 Short Stepside
HiPo
Step-by-step ~ and on-going resto build
in the Project Journals
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,967
I guess someone could heat that handle up and bend it more straight. Is that the Hurst Comp Plus shifter?


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 384
R
RLB Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 384
Yes, it is the Hurst Competition shifter. It and the M20 came out of a mid 60’s Corvette. I replaced the straight Vette shifter with the 55/57 car shifter in my photo. It clears the bench seat in any gear and all seat positions


1966 C-10 Short Stepside
HiPo
Step-by-step ~ and on-going resto build
in the Project Journals

Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0