| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,090 Posts1,056,381 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2023 Posts: 47 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2023 Posts: 47 | I have a 1941 Chevy 1/2 ton, model AK. I have a lot of wear in the torque tube bell seat in the transmission. Without a gasket I have .015” endplay. What is the fix? I know it should be a snug smooth fit. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 Renaissance Man | | Renaissance Man Joined: Mar 2010 Posts: 10,286 | These are adjusted tight by trial and error of removing gaskets until it tightens up where you have to thump it with the palm of your hand to move the torque ball. This is done with the torque tube separated from the torque ball.
Last edited by 52Carl; 06/01/2024 7:50 PM.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2001 Posts: 5,337 | Have you tried a different bell with less wear on it?
See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet! My Blog | | | | | Joined: Jan 2023 Posts: 47 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2023 Posts: 47 | The main wear is in the transmission seat, but I have tried one other ball and retainer. This is the second transmission and it wasn’t easy to find. I was wondering if I can mill off some material from the end of the transmission tail. I know this will change the position of the centerline of the u-joint pivot, but that’s already changed by the ball seat wear in the transmission. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.
Last edited by CuzzFuzz; 06/03/2024 9:42 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | I'd agree with milling the back of the transmission bell. The U joint pivot is a slip fit in the spline, so the pivot point won't change enough to make a difference. Mill it enough so you need 3 or 4 gaskets to get a snug fit, so future wear can be adjusted out. Be sure to keep the U joint housing lubed well- - - -don't depend on splash from the main case. Good luck! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | |
| |
| |