My passenger side 1/2 ton axle shaft splines are very worn and needs to be replaced. 17 splines, 6 lug. Driver side axle is good. Does anyone make new axle shafts for the AD trucks or is finding a used one the only option?
Matthew 6:33
1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com
Believe you're right, unfortunately. The problem with used is it's replacing a worn axle with another worn axle, and maybe less wear...but still worn. Jim Carter's says they don't have any but gave the name and number of a Tom Myers in OK, who I haven't called yet. Nor have I posted yet in our parts wanted forum.
May go ahead and put it back together and just run it until I find a suitable axle shaft, since it's not much trouble to change an individual axle. I'm currently changing out the complete 4.11 gears/driveshaft assembly to the 3.55 (I have both complete assemblies) that should work better with the new rebuilt 235 than it did with the 216.
Matthew 6:33
1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com
I don't know how cost-effective it would be, but it's probably possible to machine an axle shaft down and press a sleeve over the bearing area, then use a tool post grinder to bring it back down to standard size. I'd use air hardening tool steel material for the sleeve and heat-shrink it into place- - - - -when it cooled down the Brinell hardness number would probably be pretty close to right. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Might be less expensive than Jerry's suggestion to have the axle shaft rebuilt using a metallizing process. Probably still expensive, but fewer steps to the process. Here's an outfit in Connecticut that does it. Here's another one in Indiana. I know nothing about either of them but might be worth a call.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
The bearing/seal surface is good. It's the splines I'm concerned about. Hopefully there's no immediate danger of shearing with 110hp the 235 might be capable of. You guys judge from the pics below. Does contribute to perceived backlash which can be annoying and need to be aware of, so as to load the gears "softly," if that's even possible.
Matthew 6:33
1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com
Yeah, there's a little wear there, but still plenty of meat left, from what I can tell. If you have a shaft with a bad bearing race area, you could build a good one from that by welding the two shafts together. I know it's a bit Rube Goldberg, but has been done many times, I'd guess. I have broken an axle shaft in a 54 Chevy Station wagon before, but that was back when replacements were readily available.
Last edited by klhansen; 03/13/20248:04 PM.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I think I'd be inclined to post in the "Parts Wanted" section and hope for a better used one. Sadly I had two of these a few years ago and finally got rid of them just for the benefit of garage space. I'll look in the attic to see if by chance there is still one around. You're welcome to it if there is.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
I think I'd be inclined to post in the "Parts Wanted" section and hope for a better used one. Sadly I had two of these a few years ago and finally got rid of them just for the benefit of garage space. I'll look in the attic to see if by chance there is still one around. You're welcome to it if there is.
Thanks Jon I appreciate that but please don't spend a bunch of time and effort digging through stuff. Gonna check some local sources too and see what turns up.
Matthew 6:33
1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com
The PO of my truck had the T5 installed, the driveline specialty shop used a Currie housing,axels, bendix brakes kit with what I think is a stock rear gear, it was set up to bolt onto the stock rear springs. Price on the receipts iirc was not prohibitive for the complete package
Thanks for the links. Dutchman clearly shows respining service on their site with reasonable pricing. Ideally would send them a spare to be reworked. Would hate to send out my only axle, which is usable at least, for the time being.
Watching the custom car shops on TV, there's places that can build any and every part imaginable. Don't think I'll have to go that route but nice to know they're out there.
Matthew 6:33
1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100 Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55 Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216) www.truckwithaheart.com
My take on that Dutchman link is that they cut the axles shorter and cut new splines on them (Narrowing and resplining in their terminology.) With yours, it looks like it needs new material applied and then recut. But it's worth giving them a call and maybe send them a pic of your worn splines.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I'm with Jon G, post in the Truck Parts Wanted forum and you may just get what you need.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum