The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ponchogl, IHPWR, Paul_WNC, Jon G), 97 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,136
Posts1,056,431
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
Working on replacing the wire harness in a 1953 3100. I have all the wiring pulled into the cab and I am ready to remove them from the connections inside. I prefer not to work upside down and thought about pulling the light switch and instrument cluster. Can anyone give me give me any tips on this? I don't want to damage anything and have to replace it.

Thanks
Deegs


1953 3100
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 87
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 87
Under the dash on the right side of switch (Steering wheel side), there is a spring release button for the headlamp rod to release, about mid switch. In most cases it will require some wiggling while working with rod. Once the rod is out the piece unscrews from the front and its out.

Good luck


Pedals 3
Paddles 0
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
Thank you for the info. I looked at the switch for a bit and did not see how it came out.

Deegs


1953 3100
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 87
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Dec 2022
Posts: 87
The instruments are more work.

There are 3 attachments for each instrument. One at 3, noon and 9 o'clock. I think they are 7/16 but might be 3/8 nuts.

When I replaced my wiring, I was able to keep the oil and temp gauges hooked up, I just moved gauge to one side and rewired.
Speedometer is easier. Remove speedo cable and a few blubs and its removeable, from back side.

Helps to have shop manual.

Good luck


Pedals 3
Paddles 0
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
Thanks again. I did purchase what I thought was a manual for my truck. Turns out it stops at 1952. I never know when I can trust what I read in this manual since I know things changed on our trucks across the years. I have not been able to find a true 1953 shop manual.

Deegs


1953 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
I just googled it up. There's a 1948-1953 Chevy Truck Shop Manual for sale by DIY Repair Manuals 866-586-0949. www.diymanuals.com

Sit down and get your heart medication ready... $192.04 USED!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
There's also one on ebay for $25.00

Better get hacking on the ol' confuser and buy it now.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
As far as instrument cluster stuff, the '53's are essentially the same as 47-52. The dash changed a bit in 54. So what you see in the manual for 52 would pertain to your 53 as far as wiring and gauges go.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
Here's a reprint for $22

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362936456213

Here's the $25 one from Classic Chevrolet

https://www.ebay.com/itm/156003274692


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
That is the manual I purchased. Only goes to 52. 😞


1953 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
Look at the title again. It goes to '53.

There are some that go to 51 , some to 52, and this one to 53.

I have the '48 - '51 that includes a '52 supplement. That's probably the one you have.

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 03/03/2024 11:36 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Deegs53, Sorry to be a bit late getting to your post. Since it’s more related to your wiring harness and electric component work, your topic better fits into the Electrical Bay so it’s been moved there for further discussion and help. wink


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
Yep that is the book I purchased, unfortunately. I thought it would cover my truck but when I rec'd it and looked at it I noticed it only went to 52 in most sections, some other sections are not broken out by year groups. The first clue was the loading tables in the front that only went to 52. Then I noted that the information provided for the rear was broken out in two-year groups with the latest being 52 and no other info was provided. This was also the same thing I found when looking at the brake section. I would not suggest anyone purchase this book if they are looking for info on a 53 truck. I do use the manual as the pictures can be very helpful but if you are looking for torque values and such this manual does not specifically state 53 as it does 47-52.

Deegs
Attachments
20240304_095713.jpg (142.08 KB, 42 downloads)


1953 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
Why does it say 1948 to 1953? Is there anything in the book that specifically references 1953 trucks?

If not, I suspect that there were no changes from 1952 to 1953 and GM didn't want to add redundant information. You'd think they'd have included something in the forward telling mechanics to use 1952 data on 1953 trucks, though.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 72
My only guess was to sell more books. I read the forward thinking it would say to follow the guidance for a 52 ,etc. but it does not make any mention of this, however it alleges that the book covers 48-53. So far I have not found a single reference for a 53 in the book in the sections I was looking in for info. I read some threads on this site where folks mentioned finding a shop manual for a 53 was like finding hens teeth. Frustrating.

Deegs


1953 3100
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,834
I'd be willing to bet that the book you have is the one that's supposed to be used. Why would all the other years be a dime a dozen and '53 be so scarce? If one existed it would be as common as the rest. I don't think there is a separate '53 book other than possibly some sort of pamphlet supplement.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0