The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1535925 02/07/2024 9:02 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
Hey Everybody,

I've got a couple of questions about subject wheels. I recently removed the wheels/tires that came on my truck when I bought it. They were not original equipment. What I just found out was that there were 2 different sizes. The front had 15x6 and the rear had 15x8 and they both had the Cheverolet 6 lug pattern that fits the old truck. Once I got them back from the tire installer, I finally got to see the roll stamp inside the wheel. It seems that the wheels were late 1960's vintage, based on the codes. I'll want to sell them, and will post a for sale posting when I'm ready, but right now, I have no idea what kind of value (if any) that these have. Of course, condition will play a huge role, but other factors such as rarity can affect cost. The question is, how do I determine a fair asking price for the wheels? I'm attaching pics of the roll stamps, just as FYI, in case it helps someone. Also, if this runs afoul of the rules, just move or delete it.

Thanks!
Attachments
20240207_151508.jpg (602.93 KB, 118 downloads)
20240207_151256.jpg (621.05 KB, 117 downloads)
20240207_152423.jpg (806.53 KB, 118 downloads)
20240207_151951.jpg (749.72 KB, 118 downloads)


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Just as an FYI, I have found original 16x4.5 wheels for my truck in decent shape for $20. And they're likely a little less common than the later ones you have.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
So, fodder for the recycler?


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
I would sell them to someone that can use them rather than just scrap them, but $75-$100 is probably the top end of what they are worth (for the set).

Compared to the $5 the scrap man might give you.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
Compared to the $5 the scrap man might give you.
Good luck with getting $5. They don't even pay for steel up here. Back when they did, I got $14 for a diesel engine block and a few bits of miscellaneous steel. The bare block probably weighed 450# (they're 900# fully dressed.)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,480
I have a set of 15”x8” kelsey hayes rims and recently tried to buy just one. On eBay they are going for big money. They are sought after by 4x4 guys that have blazers and late sixties early seventies trucks that want to put larger tires on them. Here is an example [LINK].

Last edited by Phak1; 02/08/2024 12:47 AM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
I've seen stuff like that for sale. I often wonder if anyone ever buys it.... My wheels look better overall. I'm also wondering if I should separate them into 2 separate sales because of the 2 different sizes. Whichever way I go, I'll offer them for sale here, first. These darn things are so heavy, it's going to cost a ton to ship them! Probably better if someone could just pick them up or use the hauling board to move them.


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
You'd be surprised. They probably won't cost more than $20 each or less to send


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
You can search eBay "Sold" auctions to see that those wheels are bringing good money. I'd sell them as separate pairs.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Online: Content
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 503
Mike,

That was good advice! Looks like most that have sold recently are 5 lug, although there are a few 6 lug wheels that have sold. Prices are definitely higher than I was thinking! Selling in pairs makes the most sense to me. If that doesn't work, I guess I can break them into singles. Off to ebay, I suppose....


Mike
1953 3100
The Gray Ghost
My Project journal
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Originally Posted by Gray_Ghost
Off to ebay, I suppose....

I'd try the Parts For Sale section here first, it might be an easy sale and help a fellow Bolter.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0