The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (55shaker, MickeyP, Bill Hanlon, 3B, Gdads51, Ridgeback, Gray_Ghost, 32Fordpuchoptop), 112 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,304
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1536011 02/08/2024 11:51 AM
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
Looking for a little guidance on my front clip.
In the vast knowledge of all you truck guys how do you re assemble your front clips?
Do you assemble it on the truck ? Or assemble with radiator support in place and then, set it on the truck?
Everything will be painted.
I'm leaning towards assemble and set it on.
Let me hear your experiences.


Jeff
1964 Chevrolet K10 Fleetside
"A Kid's First Truck"
Follow in the DITY
1951 Chevrolet 3100
Follow his build in the Project Journals
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible | 2020 Chevrolet Silverado | 3500 Duramax | 2021 GMC Sierra Denali
USAF Veteran 1983-1987 | PSP retired 1990- 2012
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,823
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,823
Just a guess, but I think you'll need to do it Johnny Cash style - one piece at a time. Getting the hood, cowl and fenders all aligned properly requires leaving everything loosely connected.

I'm probably wrong but that's how it looks to me.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
I agree with having to let things loose somewhat to finalize adjustments. But doing all the anti sqeak tape and stuff with inner fenders and grill and fender braces. Might be easier to put together so not to scratch stuff up.


Jeff
1964 Chevrolet K10 Fleetside
"A Kid's First Truck"
Follow in the DITY
1951 Chevrolet 3100
Follow his build in the Project Journals
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible | 2020 Chevrolet Silverado | 3500 Duramax | 2021 GMC Sierra Denali
USAF Veteran 1983-1987 | PSP retired 1990- 2012
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 281
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 281
I had my radiator support frame in place, bolted the inner and outer fenders together, then installed it on the truck. I pre-fit all parts first, then after painting I installed it. I had two helpers to handle it and not scratch the fresh paint. One thing I had to do is put a 1/4” x 2” aluminum spacer beside the new grill. You can see it in one of my photos. Once it was painted you would not notice it. I had to do that to get the hood and fenders to fit right. I think the new aftermarket grill is narrow compared to the old one. It fits nice now and sits down on the rubber pads that rest on the fenders.
Attachments

Last edited by lumbersawyer; 02/09/2024 12:42 AM.

1947 3600 Chevy
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Nov 2023
Posts: 283
I had mine all put together as well. Then disassembled it. Hood was sitting a little hi on old bumpers. I believe my grill to be original. I just figured it needed to be fully adjusted and dialed in. I saw a video on Truck TV where they were lifting the front off in one piece. Less the hood of course.
Last picture is from today. Three coats Seacrest Green. Then flat clear coat tomorrow.
Thanks for your help.
Attachments
1000001941.jpg (251.79 KB, 70 downloads)
1000001942.jpg (284.84 KB, 69 downloads)
1000002547.jpg (172.3 KB, 70 downloads)


Jeff
1964 Chevrolet K10 Fleetside
"A Kid's First Truck"
Follow in the DITY
1951 Chevrolet 3100
Follow his build in the Project Journals
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible | 2020 Chevrolet Silverado | 3500 Duramax | 2021 GMC Sierra Denali
USAF Veteran 1983-1987 | PSP retired 1990- 2012

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0