The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Guitplayer, Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Hanlon, Gdads51), 125 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,271
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
I recently purchased 2 30" Smithy's mufflers from a Calif supplier. When I opened them up they were a purtty blu color. As I was checking them over I notice that the Smithy logo stamped in the metal casing WAS ON BACKWARDS as was the INLET arrow?? When I put them on they sounded funny. So I turned them around and they sounded better. My question is looking down the end of the pipe that says inlet the perforated openings are facing down the pipe. However the muffler sounds better turned around which would make the little openings inside the pipe point towards the exhaust manafold. Which is the right way anybody know?


"Drugs are money, money is power, power is security." - Kent Heiner
Nedrow population 2212
Carbon footprint family of 2/11 tonnes of CO2/yr
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 962
I don't know about the smittys, but if you look into the inlet of a standard glasspack, the "louvers" face backwards toward the outlet. I have read that turning a glasspack around will make it produce more of a "bark" sound when revved. I'll double check mine and get back here.

chip


Preaching the Hot Rod Gospel according to the 4-stroke apostles:

Suck, Squish, Fire and Fumes
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 6
G
Member
Member
G Offline
Joined: Sep 2000
Posts: 6
What motor you have upstream of your Smithys?

Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
5
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 506
Fresh rebuilt 060 over 59 235. The exhaust sounds better with the Smithys reversed as you say.


"Drugs are money, money is power, power is security." - Kent Heiner
Nedrow population 2212
Carbon footprint family of 2/11 tonnes of CO2/yr
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20
M
Member
Member
M Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 20
I am running Smitty's behind my 235 in my 54 Bel Air they don't rapp like the old ones I remember, When I questioned this to Rod and Custom supply they said, when they started repops they louvered them that way on purpose so they wouldn't be so loud. Go figure, by this time my exaust was already welded up. My 48 Aerosedan runs 18 in. glass packs now this sucker raaaaaapppppppppsss!!!!! Thanks Mick Inniss
eek

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: mick inniss ]


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0