The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 196
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 196
The driver side, side cowl (all 3 pieces) have been tacked into place (see photos). As many of you had warned, that "middle cowl" piece was a bear. Basically, I cut it into 3 pieces, got the bottom to fit OK, got the top to fit OK and then shaped the middle to meet the top and bottom.
Work has started on the passenger side, side cowl. In this case (see photo) I am taking Carl52's advice and I am going to attempt to preserve the original "middle cowl piece". As the photo shows, I experimented with hacking up the inner cowl and the outer cowl so that I would not have to deal with fitting the area where the side cowl meets the top, front cowl (where the hood hinges attach, etc),to avoid affecting where the windlace channel is attached, and to avoid melting the lead at the top of the outer side cowl, etc.
After some initial cutting of outer and inner cowl pieces to see what the challenges might be, I THINK I have decided to completely remove original outer cowl and inner cowl as I did on the driver side.
The deciding factor was my welding skills. I am afraid that I would not get a clean weld and grind across all of the surgical cuts required to fit "hacked up" inner and outer cowls.
So the plan on the passenger side is new inner cowl, new outer cowl and reuse the original middle cowl.
If anyone has any advice for me on this approach, fire away. I am always open to a better way.
While I have your attention, please see last photo. I am missing one of these 3/8-24 nuts. Now I know I can hack up your average, everyday 3/8-24 nut and weld it in place since I have the whole side cowl open, but I was wondering if there is a source for acquiring an original style nut, short of scouring boneyards for a donor (AD bones are hard to come by these days).
Thanks
Attachments
IMG_5849.jpg (184.37 KB, 57 downloads)
IMG_5850.jpg (237.58 KB, 57 downloads)
IMG_6825.jpg (312.2 KB, 58 downloads)
IMG_6809.jpg (176.76 KB, 58 downloads)


1952 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 196
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 196
wrong pics of tacked in driver side, side cowl in last post... here comes the correct ones
Attachments
IMG_6822.jpg (244.17 KB, 54 downloads)
IMG_6823.jpg (280.92 KB, 54 downloads)


1952 Chevy 3100
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
The square caged nut? I've made those many times by cutting up 1/2" rectangular stock. Drill & tap, looks original (and convenient).


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by Gib70
While I have your attention, please see last photo. I am missing one of these 3/8-24 nuts. Now I know I can hack up your average, everyday 3/8-24 nut and weld it in place since I have the whole side cowl open, but I was wondering if there is a source for acquiring an original style nut, short of scouring boneyards for a donor (AD bones are hard to come by these days).
Thanks
Pat, take a look at McMaster Carr. They have a selection of weld nuts that you could use, but I'd weld in a generic hex nut (since it can't be seen anyway.)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0