The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (frogfarmer), 116 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,268
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
I have been given a somewhat complete fresh air heater for my '50 3100, and I am wondering if what I have is complete or semi-complete. What I have is the housing with the motor and fan, defroster ports, a power switch and heater core. I have looked at the factory accessory installation manual and it shows a heat control valve plumbed into the system. Is that really necessary, or can I run the hoses with a shut-off valve at the thermostat housing? This truck never had a heater installed, and I have not been around either version of the factory heaters to know just what is needed.

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,076
Hey TJ. Moving your post to Interiors for some responses.


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
Brad Allen has a lot of pictures to show what was origional. It looks like you have it all except for the control valve or ranco valve .the valves are around but most likely need to be repaired.Some folks use a cable with a aftermarket valve to control the flow through the heater.here are some of brads pictures.Also there is a site from a bolter Dave’s tech net and he has a lot of imformation to restore the heater.
Attachments
IMG_4774.png (1.14 MB, 196 downloads)
IMG_4773.png (1.01 MB, 195 downloads)
IMG_4772.png (1.02 MB, 196 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,382
My truck did not have a heater previously. I bought and refurbished one that did not have the control valve. I installed it without a control valve except a manual shut off valve that I can close in the summer months to minimize the extra heat in the cab. I have not run it yet but plan to control the heat delivered by fan speed. Given the limited number of times I anticipate that I will drive the truck when heat is needed I am hoping not to need to add the complexity of a control to the system.


1949/50 3600 Project
Follow in Project Journals
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
You can hook it up eliminating the ranco valve, but you will have full heat all the time. Unless you throttled it with the shutoff valve.

Although pricy, ranco valves do come up on eBay occasionally. An alternative would be a universal control valve controlled by a cable similar to a choke cable.
Attachments
IMG_0014.jpeg (11.81 KB, 180 downloads)
Universal Control Valve
IMG_1612.jpeg (79.39 KB, 180 downloads)


Last edited by Phak1; 01/06/2024 2:06 PM.

Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,822
Contact these three vendors to see if they can help you. Joe Hudacek says he has hundreds for sale from 1950 on up. Jim Tucker also has them to sell. All three vendors rebuild your old ones.


Jim Tucker Rebuilder of Harrison and Ranco heater control valves. New valves for sale 1950 -1975
29597 Paso Robles Road
Valley Center, California 92082
760-749-3488
http://www.heatercontrolvalve.com/


Joe Hudacek Rebuilder of Ranco and RobertShaw heater valves. New Ranco heater valves for sale
6606 Banks Avenue
Superior, Wisconsin 54880
715-392-6169
Cell: 218-213-8906
http://www.heatervalves.net/




Atwater Kent Temp sending units, coils, fuel sending units, tube radios, vacuum advance, voltage regs
12 Jacques Street Worcester, 1920s to 1970s (mostly 30s, 40s, 50s)
MA, 01603
(508)792-9500
http://www.mykmlifestyle.com


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
From the responses, it seems that my best option is to go with the shutoff valve at the thermostat housing. I do not forsee much driving during the time that a heater will be needed, and I can shut the flow off in the summer months with the shutoff. Thanks for all your input.

Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2017
Posts: 660
I use the shut-off valve Phak1 posted above. It works great. I have my "Throttle " cable hooked to it for easy on / off. .
I have an Arvin heater so it's a bit different then the fresh air but the valve is the same concept.
Good luck.
Todd
Attachments
Screenshot_20230831_085834_Gallery.jpg (162.43 KB, 150 downloads)


1950 Chevy 3100
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2021
Posts: 214
From my reading, the Ranco valve can only be rebuilt if the thermostat bulb and tubing is not damaged.
I looked into getting two I have rebuilt and the tubing was cracked on both releasing whatever is suppose to be in them.
At least as of 2 years ago.


Chip

'Rusto-Mod'
'51 Chevy 3600 5 window | C4 Corvette front/rear suspension & drivetrain | everything else looks old and stock
'92 GMC Sonoma GT #15 of 806
'91 GMC Sonoma GT Extended cab 1 of 1
Trucks, Trucks.....and more Trucks
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 916
I bought the rebuild kit, only to discover that my tube was too messed up to rebuild it. I went the same modern valve posted above, and it works great. Just make sure you use 2 lbs or less radiator cap- or you will destroy your heater core.

Last edited by Norcal Dave; 01/20/2024 5:24 PM.

~ Dave
1950 Chevrolet 3600 3/4-ton with 261 engine & T5 Transmission
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 281
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 281
I bought a Ranco valve from Joe Hudacek. He took my old one to rebuild. He can repair the thermostat bulb and the capillary tube too. Since I'm in Northern MN it is only 90 miles to his shop in Superior Wi. Very nice man and reasonable price for his service. He even gave me the control knob that says warmer for free. I tried it out this fall, and it is nice to control the heat with the turn of the warmer knob.


1947 3600 Chevy
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,315
Found this .
Attachments
IMG_4840.png (763.1 KB, 49 downloads)


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY

Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0