The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (39Master85, JW51), 129 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,095
Posts1,056,468
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1530955 12/30/2023 1:52 AM
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
Does anyone know the dash number for the o ring that the inner bearing race seats up against on the rear axles? This on my 56 chevy 6100, nothing is in the manual about it.


1956 Chevy 6100 with a dump box
Story in Big Bolts
1949 ford 8n tractor
1958 861 diesel ford tractor
2003 honda vtx 1800 c bike
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,474
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,474
I probably have this information for GMC trucks. Do you have ID of the complete rear axle? Below is a list of ALL the rear axles GMC used from 55.2-60.
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg (136.67 KB, 76 downloads)


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
I do have that information written down so I'll get that tomorrow, I did however find some part numbers and sizes ( two are listed) in the parts catalog. 3707389 - 2 5/8" ID and 3739112 - 2 25/32" ID. The last one is listed as pass. corv. not sure what corv. is... in section 5.819 - 5.830


1956 Chevy 6100 with a dump box
Story in Big Bolts
1949 ford 8n tractor
1958 861 diesel ford tractor
2003 honda vtx 1800 c bike
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,099
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,099
Originally Posted by 2thirstychevys
I do have that information written down so I'll get that tomorrow, I did however find some part numbers and sizes ( two are listed) in the parts catalog. 3707389 - 2 5/8" ID and 3739112 - 2 25/32" ID. The last one is listed as pass. corv. not sure what corv. is... in section 5.819 - 5.830
Those two numbers you listed are for Passenger cars and Corvettes, not a 6100 truck.

This may help. See the attached screenshot with the red box. Those dimensions seem to be close to a -150 size.
Attachments
Rear Axle O-ring.jpg (84.22 KB, 66 downloads)
o-ring dash size.jpg (14.23 KB, 66 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
I can't believe I missed that one being it's listed right above where I was looking!! computerdeath Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. Now I know what corv is , didn't see it listed in the abriviations section...

Last edited by 2thirstychevys; 12/30/2023 12:58 PM.

1956 Chevy 6100 with a dump box
Story in Big Bolts
1949 ford 8n tractor
1958 861 diesel ford tractor
2003 honda vtx 1800 c bike
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
I don't remember any O-rings on the big bolt rear axle, I'm confused about the description, you don't want a bearing race to have any "cushion" or movement that an O-ring might allow.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 123
I believe this is the O ring he is talking about. The black line near the flange. Sits under the inner race. I didn't know it was there until I got to deep cleaning. Also not exactly what function it serves.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231230_110620_Photos.jpg (160.93 KB, 52 downloads)

Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,474
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,474
Lots of GMC mid-size truck rear axles used this o-ring.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
I certainly missed that when I did the brakes on mine. I didn't remove the backing plates, maybe mine are missing?


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
Doug is correct, you have to remove the inner bearing race to see it therei is a groove cut into the axle tube it sits in , I think the idea was to be certain there would be no weeping of gear lube on the backside of the backing plate near weld... maybe. In searching for hub seal on carters they show a o ring with the seal, so I called them to ask about it two people there said they had no idea why it was pictured with the seal. I did get the seal for cheap on fleabay and have found numerous suppliers for the o ring. Klhansen was on the money for the dash size ( many thanks 😊)
Attachments
20231228_182235.jpg (105.47 KB, 36 downloads)


1956 Chevy 6100 with a dump box
Story in Big Bolts
1949 ford 8n tractor
1958 861 diesel ford tractor
2003 honda vtx 1800 c bike
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Jul 2023
Posts: 49
Orings arrived yesterday, at first there appeared to be a discrepancy in size but after removing the old one ( pretty stiff) it had only flattened out. So put the new one on and the inner race seats nicely against it, there is also no machined groove as I thought earlier and still don't understand the purpose of the oring thinking
Attachments
20240104_090839.jpg (207.37 KB, 22 downloads)
20240104_091245.jpg (136.6 KB, 22 downloads)
20240104_095722.jpg (139.51 KB, 22 downloads)
20240104_095756.jpg (242.38 KB, 22 downloads)


1956 Chevy 6100 with a dump box
Story in Big Bolts
1949 ford 8n tractor
1958 861 diesel ford tractor
2003 honda vtx 1800 c bike

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0