I’m in the process of cleaning up the parking brake assembly I recently removed to replace my floor. There is a tar like substance that was sandwiched between the floor and the parking brake support bracket highlighted in yellow the first photo. It appears to be similar to the sound dampening used on the firewall. I suspect it is to stop vibrations between the floor and this bracket, so my first question is do you know it’s purpose?
The first photo also shows what I believe is a felt washer surrounding the spring under the locking plate that locks the parking brake rod. I circled the pocket in red with yellow arrows pointing to this washer. I tried to remove it but it just crumpled, so my second (and third) question is, what is the purpose of this felt washer and can I purchase it?
The second photo shows a closeup of this pocket the washer slides into. The third photo from the assembly manual shows where the bracket is located and the associated parts.
Now in both cases, I do not see where they are shown in the assembly manual nor could I find these in any of the vender catalogs I have.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Last edited by Phak1; 01/02/20241:35 AM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
The one that goes in the rectangle slot I think is to keep the peddle clean like a squeegee.the round one is to cushion the blow when realeased. The undercoat never noticed on mine but is a good idea for vibration /noise .the venders do have a kit
Phil, that stuff in the first pic with the question marks is where the inner fender bolts on. I'm thinking that it might have been sound deadening or anti-squeak material placed there. The felt washer is a seal for the release rod that extends thru the floorboard, similar to the clutch and brake pedal seals. Jim Carter sells the felt seal along with a leather washer. Link
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I already bought a kit from Classic parts and it included the square leather washer and square rubber coated felt washer. I bought it thinking all of the items were for the bumper on the pedal rod. It’s funny because my truck came with the leather washer mounted on the pedal rod along with the bumper and for the life of me, couldn’t think why there was a leather washer there. I installed exactly where I found it. I didn’t see the original seal laying on my back with all the dirt around it. It all makes sense now!
Thanks all who enlightened me, now I have my answers!
Last edited by Phak1; 01/02/20242:35 PM.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum