The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Gdads51, GDW, ‘37ChevyPU), 108 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,139
Posts1,056,455
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1531063 12/31/2023 2:12 AM
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
How should I fix this?

Was it glued on at the factory somehow? Do I need JB Weld or MarineTex?

Should it be welded?

This is a Canadian Spectra tank, not an original tank.
Attachments
IMG_20231230_183719.jpg (50.99 KB, 140 downloads)
IMG_20231230_183734.jpg (66.45 KB, 140 downloads)
IMG_20231230_183814.jpg (44.02 KB, 140 downloads)
IMG_20231230_183836.jpg (43.24 KB, 140 downloads)
IMG_20231230_183843.jpg (36.22 KB, 139 downloads)
IMG_20231230_183849.jpg (41.21 KB, 139 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Silver solder might work. I think the tanks are lead coated. I wouldn't try welding that on. And DEFINITELY PURGE THE TANK before using any flame nearby.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,282
Take it to a radiator shop. They will solder it back on, and won't get you blown up, and it won't ever come off again.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
Good idea. I actually have a gas tank for another vehicle that I'm taking to them to be cleaned out. Maybe they'll give me a two for one deal.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
The photos appears as it was brazed or silver soldered, however, the filler material did not extend under the flange and therefor only the perimeter was holding it together. I agree with a radiator shop repair.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
Help me understand what I am seeing in pictures 2 & 3 , seemingly the same surface but with different finishes?

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Originally Posted by Waveski
Help me understand what I am seeing in pictures 2 & 3 , seemingly the same surface but with different finishes?
I think the difference is just lighting. I see what appears to be a shadow of an iphone in picture 2, while Pic #3 is fully lighted. Carl's radiator shop suggestion is spot on.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Looks like there is a round metal piece still on the tank if it is thick enough maybe thread it for the drain like the origional


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
Originally Posted by Waveski
Help me understand what I am seeing in pictures 2 & 3 , seemingly the same surface but with different finishes?

Yes, Klondike Kevin is correct - same surface, different lighting.


Kanadian Kevin, the piece still threaded to the outlet tube is identical to the piece still attached to the bottom of the tank. The first flange was brazed to the tank and the second one was brazed to the first one. Who knows why they just didn't use a thicker piece of metal for the outlet flange? I don't think the remaining portion on the tank would be thick enough to get enough threads cut into it.

I talked to NPD today and the tank is still covered under Spectra's 36 month warranty. I'll find out Tuesday when the boss man at NPD is in to see if they're going to send me a new tank. If not, I'll take it to Sims' Radiator here in Atlanta.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,078
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
Yes, Klondike Kevin is correct - same surface, different lighting.
Otto, you need to brush up on your geography/history. The Klondike is a region in Canada, but I live in Alaska, actually a day's drive from the Klondike territory. The Klondike gold rushers did have to travel thru Alaska to get there, but still.... I'm an Alaskan and US citizen, not a Canadian, eh! wink


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,316
Reminds me of the people passing through and asking how far to the falls .We have a small set of falls 20 minutes from the city but they were asking about Niagara Falls .A mere 2 days drive .


1954 Canadian GMC 9300
"The Journey"
Follow in the DITY
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
I know, I just thought the alliteration was funny. Also, most people don't know the difference.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,836
Originally Posted by KEVINSKI
Reminds me of the people passing through and asking how far to the falls .We have a small set of falls 20 minutes from the city but they were asking about Niagara Falls .A mere 2 days drive .

That's hilarious.

When I visited Scotland, I had people asking me if I knew this person or that person. Ya, America has 50 states and 300,000,000 people. I just happen to live next door the one American that some guy in Scotland met once before!


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0