The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gray_Ghost, Joe W), 211 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1528699 12/06/2023 8:14 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
I'm lucky in my job that I have time to tinker between customers or no shows. Came up with an old wiper motor so took it apart and got it working. Than out of boredom I put a little polish to it.
Attachments
20231206_140827.jpg (243.43 KB, 159 downloads)

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
You're lucky to have gotten it working after taking it apart. I've disassembled a few and usually they don't go back together correctly. The seals on the paddle are usually toast. I sent one to Ficken Wiper Service and it works way better than it did originally.
Yours looks pretty though. thumbs_up


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Thank you. Same here. This is the first one I actually got working.

Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 156
Mine runs but won't shut off. WAG is that whatever seals off the vacuum is toast. The mechanism that the cable connects slides easy. From reading here, not sure I want to take mine apart. I might look into some kind of ball valve that will cut the vacuum off and be able to operate under dash. I currently have bigger issues with the truck to get it road worthy.


54 Chevy 3100 Deluxe 3 speed on column. Keeping original as possible but changed to 12 volt system.
JB Weld..."I put that stuff on everything"
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
Would love to give you advice but haven't a clue how it works. I just got it freed up and greased the flap.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Originally Posted by JoeDude
Mine runs but won't shut off. WAG is that whatever seals off the vacuum is toast. The mechanism that the cable connects slides easy. From reading here, not sure I want to take mine apart. I might look into some kind of ball valve that will cut the vacuum off and be able to operate under dash. I currently have bigger issues with the truck to get it road worthy.
That's probably just an issue with the slide switch on top. It just switches the vacuum to a different port to make the motor go to the park position and stop. If it isn't sealing correctly, or the port is plugged, then that might be the issue. Taking the switch off the top isn't that sketchy. But opening the body is not for the faint of heart. That usually doesn't go back together well.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
There's a sneaky trick that was used frequently back when most of the vehicles on the road used vacuum wipers. There's usually an open port somewhere on a vacuum motor that allows air into the unit which the vacuum eventually routes to the intake manifold. "tune-up oil" like Wynn's Friction Proofing, Aviex, Casite, etc. was available in small cans, usually 6 ounces. We would attach a piece of vacuum hose to the air inlet port, immerse the other end of the hose into the can, and turn the wipers on. As the solvent/oil got sucked through the vacuum motor, it would clean and lube the internal workings- - - - -no disassembly required. The tuneup oil eventually ended up in the intake manifold, where if served to clean and lube the valve guides.

Something like a kerosene/ATF mix would accomplish the same thing if you can't find a suitable commercial product. Diesel fuel and Marvel Mystery oil might be a good combination, also.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 271
That's what I usually do Jerry but this one was stuck. All good now

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 476
I've used W-40 to bring my Trico defroster fan, wiper motor and my vacuum switch for my diff. on my 46 Tow Truck back to life. I played with that diff switch on and off for YEARS! (It's a sealed unit) Finally got it to pull in the WD-40 and it started working, feed it a little more and it stopped leaking. All three units have worked great for years!


Moderated by  ndkid275, Phak1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0