The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (TUTS 59, Ponchogl, Steelonsteel, Gdads51, Gray_Ghost, ESum), 92 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,125
Members48,435
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1527946 11/30/2023 6:10 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
After much trial and error I decided to jettison my repop hood springs. I could not get the trailing edge of the hood to conform with the cowl no matter what I tried, tech tip followed. I also noticed that I hid to push the hood all the way down to close - those stiff new reproduction springs seemed to be fighting me all the way down.

For $25 I acquired an original pair of spring support assemblies. I did a “trigger pull” comparison-
New springs: 21#
Original springs: 15#

Old/original springs installed. The hood will no longer hold itself up in mid-travel, ( with repop springs it stiffly held at any level) , but when nearly all the way up it seems to reach a designated spring position and stabilizes. Stays open just fine. I have a feeling that is more like the designed function. The really good part –- the hood to cowl match is the same as when I had the springs out of the equation.

Put a lot of time into that hood. Today is a good day.
Attachments

Last edited by Waveski; 11/30/2023 6:13 PM.
Waveski #1527957 11/30/2023 7:21 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,280
Original springs will only hold the hood up in the most upright position where they sort of cam over.
Glad you finally got it to work right.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Waveski #1527969 11/30/2023 8:20 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
(… they sort of cam over.)

That makes sense, and you said it better than I.
Thanks.


Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0