The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (DadsFirstPickup, Ponchogl, ronsway, Jman, tclederman), 119 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,102
Posts1,056,531
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1527450 11/26/2023 9:36 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Has anyone ever adapted a rear drum brake assembly to a driveline to act as a parking brake? It seems that it wouldn't be terribly difficult to come up with some kind of crossmember to bolt a backing plate and a drum assembly behind the transmission output, particularly if the trans has a flange type output instead of a slip yoke that goes into the back of the transmission. Just thinking "outside the box" while designing the doodlebug tractor I'm planning to build. I'll be using a Mercruiser 4 cylinder boat engine, a Turbo 350 automatic trans, a crash box 4 speed behind the 350, and a vacuum shift 2 speed rear axle with dual wheels. It ought to be able to climb trees if I can get enough traction! I'll bet I could win a "slow" race with a rig like that!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
3
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Dec 2019
Posts: 439
Jerry, my '63 c20 had that kind of e brake on the 4 speed, pretty sure the '66 c60 grain truck did too. wasn't hydraulic. disc and caliper may even be easier.
Attachments
IMG_1236.jpeg (78.73 KB, 141 downloads)
IMG_1235.jpeg (109.56 KB, 139 downloads)

Last edited by 37 GC; 11/27/2023 1:49 AM. Reason: Add pics

Larry
Old man᠁Old truck᠁neither one goes very fast. All you need in life is TIME, PATIENCE and MONEY.
If you are missing one component, you'll need an abundance of the others two.
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Seen plenty of them. Both drum and disc. Required in the early days of automatic transmissions and PTO's. I don't remember any of the drums using a backing plate. I don't think it was necessary. If I didn't throw it away because I was tired of tripping over it, and you wouldn't mind doing a disc version, I have a Mico caliper designed specifically for that purpose. Cable operated. Yours for the price of nothing. I think I know exactly where I left it.

BTW, the '46 International parade truck I maintain, uses an outside band/drum clamp for a parking brake.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Thanks, Mark! I was thinking of a home brewed version of the kind of brake used on a SM 420, adapted to the second trans output on the doodlebug tractor I'm building. I'm planning to use a Turbo 350 driving a crash box 4 speed, mated to a 2 speed vacuum shift rear axle. If the "fingers and toes" count comes out right, that gives me 24 forward speeds and 12 in reverse. The driveline brake will be used mostly during PTO operation to keep the rig from creeping while running a winch or another accessory with the crash box in neutral.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,256
Not caring about it but caring enough not to throw it away, it has been stored in mud and dampness for the past 10-15 years! The finishes have held up well and the pads still look great. Sending a PM.
Attachments
mico1.jpg (144.75 KB, 103 downloads)
mico2.jpg (153.53 KB, 105 downloads)
mico3.jpg (368.17 KB, 103 downloads)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
Hmmmmm- - - - -that little item looks like it wants to get out of the People's Republic of California as soon as possible and spend a nice leisurely retirement in Tennessee! PM returned!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Our former forklift had a rotor and caliper on the front differential pinion. Since it has a 6.66 ring and pinion the braking is multiplied by a factor of 6.66 and no power needed. It has a pinion housing like a 9" Ford and uses all 5 grade 8 bolts for 1/2" cold rolled steel caliper mount bracket. There is an outfit in Durango , Colorado that sells pinion mount E-brake kits.

Last edited by coilover; 11/28/2023 11:59 AM. Reason: additional info

Evan

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0