Click on image for the lowdown.
====
Forums66
Topics128,109
Posts1,056,266
Members48,439
Most Online14,466Apr 26th, 2026
AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for
over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks!
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Ok, so this could be a stupid question and I apologize if it is. This is the vacuum port for a 283, right? I am adding a vacuum brake booster and I am 95% sure but want to verify before I start taking things off.
Attachments
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,989
Yes Sir, pull the plug, looks like it's 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch pipe thread. Mine has a brass tee threaded in there, one leg is for the PCV, the other for my HydroVac and 2 speed rear end.
Last edited by 78buckshot; 11/19/2023 2:52 AM .
1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
The later engines I have worked on (70s+ 350s) had a 1/4" NPT fitting. This looks bigger to me, but it could just be the head. I will pull it tomorrow. Thanks.
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
If anyone ends up coming along later and needs to know, it was a 3/8" NPT port.