I have a 1950 216 with a Rochester single barrel carburetor. It is weeping gas between the two halves. I replaced the gasket this morning and it is still weeping between the halves. I am looking for your advice. It was rebuilt by National Carburetor 3 years ago, but then I started the frame off restoration so it has very few miles on it. I don’t think it’s the float level, but I’ve been wrong before. Thank you.
Last edited by ChevyDarren; 12/08/20232:15 PM.
Darren Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans
Check this post. A warped carb body could definitely be your issue. Looks like it takes some work to fix, but possibly worth the effort as opposed to finding a different carb that doesn't leak.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Darren, it could be the float adjustment. It could be too much pressure from your fuel pump (which can cause your needle and seat to not seat properly). It could be the rebuilder used a seat with too large of an orifice diameter (which will cause over-filling of the float bowl and flooding). I'd guess the airhorn is warped and maybe also the float bowl. Not to throw mud at National Carburetor in any way but they're just a commercial rebuilder and I'd be very surprised if they had straightened the castings. Usually an improper float adjustment and/or too much fuel pump pressure are culprits but gasoline will wick up all over the place inside the carburetor and will seep out of that seam if any irregularity exists. Somebody somewhere might suggest using two gaskets. If that happens, please resist the temptation. It won't work and the fact this carburetor only uses 4 screws to hold the parts together is what causes trouble in the first place...the corners get pulled downward and that causes the area between the corners to bend in an arc. Good luck! Please let us know if we can help.
PS...maybe just an optical illusion but it looks like teflon tape was used on the fuel line inlet threads. I'd remove that if it was used there. Teflon tape has a tendency to shred off in small pieces and those can wind up in the small passages of the carburetor.
Last edited by Jon G; 10/29/20238:50 PM.
~ Jon 1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Which "half" of a 3 piece carburetor is leaking? Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
If that gasket is leaking from an overfull float bowl (for whatever reason), it is also very likely leaking fuel internally, causing an over rich condition when the throttle opens. It is a symptom of a warped Rochester B.
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Universally known to be junk. That goes for the Chinese Carters and Autolites, too.
Track down an original Carter YF and rebuild it.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I would try fixing the warp. Follow the link Kevin posted above to read about Jon's work on this.
I am all for heroics, but looking at the pics, you could sling a dead cat through the gap in that particular carb. (I mentioned "dead" cat since it would be inhumane to sling a live one.)
1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Quick!! Remove the rebuilder's sticker from that pic before he sues you for defamation!!!!
I don't have any dead cats lying around or I'd give that a try.
Last edited by Phak1; 11/13/20232:37 AM. Reason: Blacked out rebuilders Identification tag
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I may have found a usable bowl that does not have stripped screw holes. But I’m not sure about how to change out the Guide Pump Discharge Ball. Maybe because this carburetor has never been rebuilt?
Darren Current Project - 1950 3100 5 Window with a rebuilt 216 and 3 speed trans