The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Otto Skorzeny, rfs56trk, Dusty53, Buckeye998, Chip O, WICruiser), 153 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,172
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1524498 11/03/2023 7:27 PM
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
A fellow bolter is sending me a Muncie 318 3spd transmission in a few days.
He notified me that the imput shaft bearings got rusted over the years and needs to be replaced.
My question is if I remove the nose and side cover is there a way to replace the bearings or does it have to be completely torn down?
Also is the imput shaft bearings available?
Jim


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Yes, you can pull just the input shaft to replace that bearing. You might not even need to pull the side cover, but I'd do that just to check and make sure things are in good shape inside. These trannies are pretty simple and not much in the way of special tools needed for a complete teardown and rebuild.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,799
There's a retainer nut that secures the bearing to the input shaft with a left hand thread which requires a special thin open end wrench to remove it. If you like, I'll loosen the nut and see if I can free up the bearing on the shaft before Don picks up the transmission. I might even have a good used bearing stashed away somewhere. I'm not sure if the SM 318 and the torque tube earlier trans runs the same ball bearing. Here's an Ebay listing for one I believe will fit.

www.ebay.com/itm/353876789484?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 125
T
6 heaven
6 heaven
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 125
If I understand you, the big bearing needs to be changed on the input shaft. Be careful not to pull the shaft out too far because there are internal needle bearings in there that you can't see on the inside of that input shaft.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Here's the parts listing for the input bearing. That should help get the right one.

And yes, you need to make sure the rollers inside the input shaft stay in place, so taking the side cover off would be good insurance to keep from those dropping into the case.
Attachments
Input shaft bearing.jpg (61.56 KB, 71 downloads)


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,454
PM your email address and I'll send this:
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg (46.72 KB, 61 downloads)


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
Jerry
I'll call you when I receive from Don.
No need to loosen nut. I'm going try doing it my self, gotta learn some day.
I'm sure I can count on you for advice once I start.
Thanks
Jim


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2023
Posts: 118
Pm sent


1950 chevy shortbed 3100, 216 with a 3 on the tree.
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Online: Content
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
That is a standard 6207N bearing used in both the closed and open driveline 3 speed transmissions.
It's certainly not an $80 part. At most about $30 where I get my parts. That bearing is pressed on the
shaft and then the left hand slinger/nut is installed. It's going to be difficult trying to remove and
reinstall a pressed on bearing without removing the clutch gear.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0