Just installed a new pressure plate, clutch, throw out bearing,pilot shaft bushing, and had flywheel surfaced for my 1951 3100 with a 1954 235. Has a 1964 SM420. When I ordered the clutch kit for a 1954 ( I assumed went with the motor), it didn’t look like the one I took out. I measured the clutch and pressure plate. It had a 10 3/8 clutch and 10 1/2 “ pressure plate. Research told me that this was a 1963-76 clutch that the PO must have put in.I ordered that one and installed it. Seems to fit. Trying to adjust linkage. Had to adjust linkage rod all the way out. Seems odd to me. Put together without a spring retainer on the pivot ball. The sloppyness doesn’t seem to be right. Any suggestions? Old guy knowledge really needed here.
Also, is it possible to insert the spring in the clutch fork for the pivot ball with the transmission hooked up? Side question-can you remove the clutch fork out of the slot in the bell housing with the transmission bolted to the bell housing?
I presume you compared the new throwout bearing to the old one to confirm that it is the same size. Could you have installed the throwout bearing back to front?
I was able to remove the fork after backing out the trans about 2 inches. My bell housing had a set screw that could be backed out as the pivot ball. The trans was in front of that. Or back as the case being. Yours may not. Putting the new one on was tricky. It'll pop on the pivot ball. I think the fork is designed to be removed ,either thru the bottom or side. Here`s a pic of my bell housing before I put the right clutch fork in.
~ BD. "You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker 1958 Apache Stepside 1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel 1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel