The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shaffer's1950, Otto Skorzeny, Ponchogl, Cletus1950, Barry Martak, Peggy M), 111 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,403
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
I bought a replica ID plate from Classic Parts, but it is for a 1/2 ton. I have retouched a scan to make it into a 2 ton plate with 16,000 GVW. I may screen print the image onto a plate. If I do it, does anyone else want one?

There are three pictures of the plates on a photoshare. The first picture is one that has been changed and has the Chevrolet added, (it was missing on the Classic Parts replica), the second one is also altered, but has a more vintage font used in the bow tie, and the third picture is a scan of the classic parts ID Plate.

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/messages/viewthumb/5655758640-1176956648-71198/gallery/page/1/15/


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Those look nice!

I don't know the rules in BC but here in WA messing with a serial number plate is a felony and could easily result in jail time.

My 2-ton has a nice original plate already in place.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
S
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
Big Bolt Forum Co-moderator
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,997
Well, I posted earlier that I thought it a bit weird you could buy them, but I have the original for mine. However, all the print is worn off. Only the stamed numbers are legible. I would keep both of course.
Classic Parts of America sells the 1/2 ton plates out of their catalogue, so I figure it must be alright to do. That plate was actually shipped to Washington, because my brother in law lives in Clinton. He is my US mail box. >_<


A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin
When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I suppose its not illegal to sell them, just to use them for the most logical purpose?

Rules don't always make sense.

I'm headed up near Clinton next week to collect my most recent purchase. A 3-ton GMC.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 66
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 66
Super55, you can put be down for a couple (2t.). Thanks.

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,723
How hard would it be to also make some 1.5 ton plates? I'd take one of those.

Hi Pete! All the snow gone now?

As for the legality of this, I would think that if you use the same VIN, you'll be fine. Altering the VIN is what would get you in trouble, not the plate it's stamped into.

Regards,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Quote
Originally posted by John Milliman:
Altering the VIN is what would get you in trouble, not the plate it's stamped into.
There is a difference between what is moral and what is legal.

In this state tampering with the plate is illegal. I won't try to defend the law, but will say its wise to proceed with caution.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 113
P
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
P Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 113
Pete,

I'd like one as well.

Thanks,

Lane

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,517
I think its O.K. to use them. Its only illegal if youre trying to use them in an illegal way.
Kinda like carrying bolt cutters. If you use them in your daily work routine,,no prob.
If youre caught with them at 3:00 A.M. behind some warehouse,,then theres a prob.
John is exactly right!
Marty

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 66
P
New Guy
New Guy
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 66
John,
As a matter of fact, there's still snow in the woods. Beginning mud-time, just waiting for the blackflies....ain't it grand.

Pete


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0