I am in the process of changing my cab from a 3 window (1953 3600) to a 5 window (1952 3100) and have encountered a puzzling hitch. I took the after marked electric wiper system out of the 1953 and when going to install in the 1952 the length of the wiper connecting rods to the wiper motor is about 6" short of matching the holes in the 1952 cab. Anyone know if the spacing of the wiper holes in the cabs changed?
I doubt that the wiper spacing (where the arms go on the cowl) would have changed from 47-53. Maybe in 54 with the single piece windshield would be different, but you'd have to get measurements from each to be sure. I could measure my '51 cab if that would help.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I don't know if someone filled in the original holes and cut new holes in the 1953 cab, as I no longer have that cab, and modified the arm length (they do look like they have been cut and welded back together) but they definitely aren't long enough to go from one side to the motor and to the other side. Doesn't make any sense that they would do this as it would be a lot of work for basically nothing! I guess I could cut the arms and add a length to each side so that they reach the motor. I would think that if I made sure both wipers were in the "parked" position when I did this it would all work out fine. Thoughts? The other option would be to look for some stock arms that are the right length.
Just a note that I think your conversation may be better answered through more conversation in the Paint and Body Shop.
I have moved it there to help the conversation along.
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I have the stock arms handy if you need measurements on those. Not installed yet. Agree with Dan that this should have been in Paint and Body. Should have mentioned that as it's "my" forum.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Right side is 25-7/8" from arm pivot to motor connection hole Left side is 7-5/8" from arm pivot to motor connection hole
Both have doglegs in them probably for clearance to other stuff under the dash. Here's a picture.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thanks for the measurements and photo. I am currently installing the electric motor and will modify the arm lengths to fit after i put the motor in. Hopefully the motor is in the "parked" position and when I modify the arms everything will work out OK.