Spare off something. Axle from like vehicle. Bolt axle backwards through wheel. Weld axle gear to plate for grinder. Place grinder on stand with axle gear. I did this so if I'm working at home the grinder is outside. I can just lift it of and carry in the garage. Also have a vise with same gear welded to it. Can just change them out. Vise is just used for sharpening blades mostly. Not very good for to much torque.
A guy just need to scrounge up the parts from a wrecking yard. Good use for that temporary spare tire. It's not really good for use as a spare, anyway.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Looking good! I do something similar, but I use a discarded 18 wheeler brake drum- - - - -which weighs about 100 pounds, and anchors whatever implement I mount on it very effectively, but it can be tilted and rolled anyhere in the shop it's needed at the moment. A piece of 4" schedule 40 pipe and a steel plate on top completes the assembly. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
That's also the only good use I can think of for a Firestone RH5 truck wheel! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
~~ Jethro 1954 3100 Back to Life In the Dity Gallery 1951 3100 (gone) / 1956 4400 (still in the neighborhood) / 1957 6400 with dump body (retired) / 1959 3100 panel (in the woods junked) / 1978 Custom Deluxe K10 / 1993 S-10 4.3 / 2004 Chevy Crew Cab / 1945 John Deere H / 1952 John Deere B / 1966 John Deere 2510 / 1967 John Deere 1020
I'm soon going to have five RH-5 fire pits available to any 'Bolter who wants one. And yes Jerry, I'll sabotage it so no attempt could ever be made to use it as a wheel. :-)
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
I recently had a grinder/sander stand given to me. The stand was built by my Wife's Uncle years ago. The stand is pretty heavy made from a Big Truck brake drum as Jerry has described. Her uncle passed away last year and his Commercial Diesel shop is being sold. I was glad to keep this stand in the family.
~ Craig 1958 Viking 4400 "The Book of Thor" Read the story in the DITY 1960 Chevrolet C10 "A Family Heirloom" Follow the story in the DITY Gallery '59 Apache 31, 327 V8 (0.030 over), Muncie M20 4 Speed, GM 10 Bolt Rear... long term project (30 years and counting)
If you don't like driving yourTruck, you won't drive yourTruck..| Living life in the SLOW lane