The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (dt235sd, Opelika Tom, tclederman, DBJ71SuperCustom), 81 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,078
Posts1,056,285
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2023
Posts: 6
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Sep 2023
Posts: 6
I have owned this barn find 51 GMC 9314 for two years now and have not had the time I wish to spend on it with a new business ( Distillery) but I have spent some. Most of the metal in the bed is done and I have been working on the doors.

Now for my first question what the heck do I own.

I have scoured the internet for info on what engine I actually have which I will need to resleeve and complete rebuild. I don’t even know what colour this truck is other that the obvious green , but can find anything on the colour code. I’m hoping some canucks or other knowledgeable chaps can bend an ear for me.

I tried to attach pictures but being new I’m still learning.

So some numbers
Engine. C487058
Model 9314
Trim. 394
Paint. 132
Serial. 1931411651
Attachments
23291B8A-C2FF-4B72-92B0-839C23C019D7.jpeg (218.58 KB, 169 downloads)
1CF15EC3-C031-4F81-98DF-200A86A02624.jpeg (466.32 KB, 169 downloads)

Last edited by Peggy M; 03/13/2024 10:41 PM. Reason: added more info to the title
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
Insomniac
Insomniac
Joined: Jul 2000
Posts: 2,195
The serial number can be decoded. 1 means 1951, 9 means GMC ...

See: https://www.gregwapling.com/hotrod/chev-trucks-47-55/canadian-gmc.html


For engine ID, you will have to get the casting number off the block.

Last edited by Gord&Fran; 09/16/2023 4:51 PM.

Gord 🇨🇦
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,821
I believe "GMC" pickups in Canada actually used Chevrolet engines. In 1951, that would most likely have been a 216 cubic inch engine with spray oiling of the connecting rods and Babbit-lined rods. American GMC trucks of the same year would have been made with 228 or 248 cubic inch engines with replaceable rod bearings. If there's a roughly triangular shaped sheet metal part near the oil pan rail on the driver's side, you've got a spray-oiler 216 or 235 Chevy engine.
Jerry

Last edited by Peggy M; 09/16/2023 4:51 PM.

"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Sep 2023
Posts: 6
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Sep 2023
Posts: 6
George at vintagevehicleservices.com was big help for me recently on my Canadian built 1951 Chev 1 ton (Model 1434) which was produced in the US as Model 3804.


1951 Chev 1 ton Model 1434
(Canadian Built)
The Story Begins
And you can read all about it in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Your trim code is brown leatherette (fake leather, most common interior trim by far) Your colour code is Commercial Green So your truck is very original looking -s

Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Authorized Pest
Authorized Pest
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,081
Silver Fox,

Once you have decided what your truck is, please let us know so we can change the title of this thread.

I was amazed at how much info is on that plate. Even the color codes. Neat.

thumbs_up


~ Peggy M
1949 Chevrolet 3804
"Charlie" - The Stovebolt Flagship
In the Gallery
"We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give." -- Winston Churchill
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,842
That truck is pretty cool. Does it run? Ya, we Americans get the short end of the stick on the Chevy truck data plate information compared to you guys in The Great White North.

Last edited by Peggy M; 09/19/2023 8:44 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Moderator - The Electrical Bay
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,442
Welcome to the 'bolt.


Another quality post.
Real Trucks Rattle
HELP! The Paranoids are after me!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0