The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Peggy M, TooMany2count, 52Carl), 87 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,422
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1514559 08/25/2023 10:07 PM
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
I took a long look at a stock ‘54 3100 today, mostly to expand my knowledge of the original mechanics. (I’m one of those HotRod guys…shudder…)
Everything made sense to me , as simple and straightforward as those machines are , except for the vacuum line leading to the fuel pump and from there through the firewall to (presumably) the vacuum driven wiper motor.
- Is the fuel pump not mechanical and driven off of the crank or cam?
- Why doesn’t the vacuum line for the wipers go directly to the wipers?

I know that these are pretty basic questions, but I’m asking because (as Red Green said - those three little words that men have such a hard time saying -) I Don’t Know.

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,833
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,833
Fuel pump is mechanical driven off a cam. The diaphragm in the pump also creates vacuum which assists the windshield wipers. The fuel pump provides a steady source of vacuum as opposed to the on again off again wiper operation you get from manifld vacuum.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,817
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,817
Vacuum wipers slow down, or usually stop altogether when the vehicle is pulling a hill or passing. The vacuum booster pump is in line with the intake vacuum to prevent the wipers from coming to a complete stop- - - - -if it works as designed. Most don't. Chevy was too cheap to put in a reserve canister with a one way valve to be a backup for the intake vacuum.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,468
It is a second diaphragm on the pump that provides the vacuum for the wipers.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,966
G
'Bolter
'Bolter
G Offline
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,966
My 58 panel came with a vacuum pass thru bolt that mounted the
fuel pump. That line ran to the bottom of the fuel pump
with 2 vacuum ports underneath.


~ BD.
"You won't find me in an old folks home" Pioneer Florida Cracker
1958 Apache Stepside
1958 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
1959 Apache 1/2 ton Panel
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
I am familiar with the wipers slowing or stopping or stopping when manifold vacuum drops … I am old enough that such things were common knowledge in my formative years.
I even understand the function of the vacuum advance!
Now that I think of it , such things were taught in hands- on shop class back then.
Ah, the good old days…

So there is a second diaphragm in the fuel pump , and it’s function is the produce vacuum for the wipers. The fuel pump itself is driven off of the camshaft.

I am a little smarter now than I was when I got up this morning,
Thank you.
‘Ski


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0