The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Oswald, 2-Ton, 1955 1 Series, Peggy M, Hotrod Lincoln), 75 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,352
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1512929 08/14/2023 11:40 AM
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
I used a 2k rattle can primer for touch up when I was doing final blocking. I had burnt through into the glaze coat in a few places. I bought it from the same place I get all my other supplies.

I have a oil/water separator 50 feet down stream of the compressor. I have a dedicated airline from the separator, and I have a pod separator at the gun.

First coat of this epoxy was simply a tack coat. It looked a little weird on the touch up primer, but we figured we would wait the 4 hrs and see what things looked like with a second coat.

Second coat went completely different vs the first. Got some fish eyeing in some places and perfection in others. The big problem is the different primer. It acted like it was afraid of it. We stopped right there. I have a call into the company for some advice. Hoping there is a work around. Except for this one issue I am very excited how it is turning out. It did lay down flat and will look awesome after clear.

What are the expert thoughts on this?
Attachments
20230813_084129.jpg (52.6 KB, 216 downloads)
20230813_084315.jpg (115.76 KB, 215 downloads)
20230813_084328.jpg (79.6 KB, 218 downloads)
20230813_084038.jpg (85.74 KB, 218 downloads)
20230813_084157.jpg (89.88 KB, 218 downloads)


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
I am following. I have had a similar response painting my wheels. Some spots lays down good, others exactly what you have pictured.


Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
What was the rattle can primer used? Typically rattle can stuff doesn't play nice with the solvents in automotive paints.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
I can grab a pic of the can later today. It is what the body guy who helped me spray uses when he has small touch up to do.

I just spoke with the liner people. He thinks the primer didn't sand the same way as the high build and had too glossy of a finish causing the balling. It was one of the things I did notice when we were final blocking, but I never thought twice about it. It had been on for 5 to 6 days prior to finish sanding. Many of these areas I will be able to sand down and re shoot. It has such a long flash time it is self leveling so I am hopeful I can get things looking good?

I will be very happy with the finished product if I can straighten this problem out. It is going to be super rugged I can tell and it will take another day or two to fully cure.

Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 08/14/2023 3:51 PM.

1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,084
I've had good results with Spray-Max brand 2K epoxy primer in rattle cans.

That first pic sure looks ugly. frown


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
7
'Bolter
'Bolter
7 Offline
Joined: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,990
Typically, true fisheye is caused by surface contamination from silicone or oils. It doesn't take much to cause the problem. you may have been spraying some penetrating oil in the same building and the mist will float in the air, anything that will prevent the intercoat adhesion can cause this. How clean is the environment, when wet sanding use clean water in a dedicated bucket, if your well water is heavy with dissolved gases or bacterial iron you might want to consider bottled water for wet sanding.


1957 Chevrolet 5700 LCF 283 SM420 2 speed rear, 1955 IH 300U T/A, 1978 Corvette 350 auto, 1978 Yamaha DT175, 1999 Harley Davidson Softail Fat Boy
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
78 Buckshot,

No oils sprayed for weeks in this area. Night before I blew all the dust out and used prep all. In morning I used prep all again. I am not wet sanding for your exact reasons and this stuff needs some scratches to adhere.

I sent pics to company. They say sand, fill, high build and shoot. I was only two light coats in so its not the end of the world. Just another PITA


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 785
Those weren’t the typical look of fisheye, and had it been impurities that causes such defect you would expect them to be elsewhere in the panel as well. Since it was just over the areas that had been sprayed with rattle can primer (please correct me if I’m wrong in that assumption) then it is almost certainly a reaction of whatever was sprayed directly over top of said primer and perhaps it’s solvents were too hot for the primer or the primer was still too green for that next coat.

Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,101
I made the mistake on some panels to try a paint directly over self etching primer. It was my first job and the can specifically said I could not paint directly onto the self etching primer. Rookie mistake. It sounds like you did everything you were supposed to and still got a bad result. I agree with Robert. It sounds like a reaction between the two products.


Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
Ok. So here is what
Originally Posted by MPandC
Those weren’t the typical look of fisheye, and had it been impurities that causes such defect you would expect them to be elsewhere in the panel as well. Since it was just over the areas that had been sprayed with rattle can primer (please correct me if I’m wrong in that assumption) then it is almost certainly a reaction of whatever was sprayed directly over top of said primer and perhaps it’s solvents were too hot for the primer or the primer was still too green for that next coat.

Nope you are correct. Trouble on every spot I touched up with primer. I got a little fish eyeing on a rear fender, but it settled in nicely to where I can simply rough and shoot another layer.

I assume my fix is the following:

1. Aggressively sand affected areas.
2. Skim coat filler to smooth things out.
3. Shoot with high build and block as even as I can with surrounding good areas.
4. Re apply the epoxy paint.

I expected 4 to 6 very light coats so it would not sag. I only did 2, so 3 to 4 over everything should get me there. 4 coats in a day is tough due to the 4 hr flash time.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
This was the fish eyeing I was talking about. Because this epoxy takes so long to cure it settled in.
Attachments
20230814_104354.jpg (33.15 KB, 107 downloads)


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
So. I have the epoxy sanded pretty smooth. I am going to lay down some heavy coats of high build to fill and blend in height wise with the epoxy that layed down well.

After letting that sit for a while I am going to try and respray the epoxy. Praying it does what it needs to.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Why more epoxy? Why not seal and prep for your top coats?

Your last picture could look like too heavy a coat of epoxy.

4 hour flash????? What product are you using, at what substrate temps, etc. Worst I've had in recent times is a 15-20 minute flash!

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
It is a color matched epoxy bedliner. I want a very durable paint.


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Understood.

Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Nov 2021
Posts: 1,258


1966 C-10 Step Side
"Augustus"
Engage in the DITY
or follow along in his
Project Journal

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0