The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (mick53, 1955 1 Series, klhansen, Shade Baby), 101 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Good morning! I am in the process of buying a 1958 Chev fleetside BBW shortbox. The seller states it has a crate 350 engine from Regis Engines? Anyone familiar with that company? Truck does not have a/c so am wondering what would be the best in terms of functionality/fit and finish a/c unit for the truck? I see many people have installed Vintage Air units but they are quite costly. The appraiser I am dealing with has restored many cars and he is suggesting a unit from a GM car or truck? Any tips/thoughts and or suggerstions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first foray into owning a 58 BBW fleetside! Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
I personally like the Old Air Products setups better than Vintage Air: https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/inside-package-1955-59-chevrolet-pu-ip-9100

With that kit, you can put whatever underhood parts you want.

You might be able to make a newer stock GM HVAC unit work, but it would be a lot of time taking measurements and looking at different models. Most newer stock systems will have the outputs in places that are inconvenient for the older trucks, but you might be able to save some money by doing a lot of work.

Whether or not that is worthwhile to you would be your call.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,499
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,499
I've not heard of Regis Engines. I've used both Vintage Air and Old Air products and am more of a fan of Old Air. I think their design is a little better...but either will be okay. The least expensive A/C only choice will be a complete underdash package (what we used to call a hang-down unit). You'd get the compressor, the mounting bracket, all hoses, the evaporator and condenser. Something like this, maybe: https://www.oldairproducts.com/product/cap-300-et-complete-package

If you want A/C, heat and defrost the cost will go up. Just a matter of what you need. Good luck!


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 281
I have an OldAir unit in my 59 and have been generally pleased with its performance. I haven't used Vintage air so I can't really suggest one over the other. Mine is about 25 years old so both companies have probably made improvements. Mine did not have a "defog" capability as delivered so I added a toggle switch to activate the compressor if needed when it is in defrost mode. Their heater/air controls fit in the original heater control panel location and all the condenser and dryer parts fit the core support well. No complaints here, it is a good kit, I would buy it again. I don't see how adapting a system from a late model car or truck would be a positive experience.

Mark

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I installed a Vintage Air system in my '56 3100. This was my first time adding AC to anything and I think it went pretty good, as I recall I had to convert the lowest mounting bolt to a stud to make things easier. All the bent lines fit without issues. I mocked up all of the flex lines and had my local auto mechanic crimp the fittings on and then charge the system after I finished the installation...that was about 6-7 years ago and it still work great!

I don't have any experience with Old Air.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 51
Fibonachu & JonG: Thanks for the info. I looked at both systems and the IP-9100 offers a/c, heat and defrost for $1095 US while the Cap-300T is a/c only for $1070 US......is this correct? Am I missing something as to why the IP-9100 offers way more for only $25 more? Are either of these "complete" systems in that there would be nothing else I need to purchase to have a/c in mytruck? i.e. Do I need to buy a special radiator or fan for the 350 Regis engine? Have an awesome day!

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
The Cap-300T is a complete system with the compressor, condensor, dryer, everything. The IP-9100 is just the parts that go inside the cab. You would need your own compressor, condensor, and dryer.

Depending on what you already have and how handy you are, sourcing/installing those extra parts can be done fairly cheaply.

I also don't know anything about Regis engines, but if it is a standard SBC with a mechanical fan you should be good to go. You will want to maake sure you have a good shroud too ensure the airflow goes through the condensor/radiator but you would want that anyway.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0