I have a supply of original wheels for my 53 half ton that I'm working on. All of them are 16 inch wheels with clips for the hubcaps. If I measure the width, outside to outside, most of them measure 5-1/8, 5-3/16, and 5-1/4. I consider these to be OK to mix on the truck. But some measure 6 inch diameter. Can you guys tell me which size is actually correct for my truck? Also, I have 4 wheels on the truck now that are 16 inch, 6 lug, but have had clips added to them. What would they have come on originally. I just want to educate myself a little bit on these. It seems that there are a lot of very similar wheels that are not quite identical. P. S. none of there are split rims. All are standard one piece wheels.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
Below is an extract from the 1953 Chevrolet Truck vehicle information kit that provides the original specs on what would/could have been on your truck.
16" diameter x 4-1/2" rim width (measured inside edge of rim to inside edge where the tire beads rest) with a 9/16" offset was the standard wheel for 3100's.
There was an optional wheel that was 15" diameter x 5-1/2" rim width with a "0" (or possibly a 1/8") offset. Hard to understand as the document seems to show both measurements???
Anyhow, the 5-1/8 to 5-1/4 outer edge to outer edge measurements seem a little on the narrow side for a rim that should have an inner of 4-1/2".
It's possible you have some earlier wheels as 1941-47 standard wheels were 16" x 4" and optional wheels for those years where 16" x 4-1/2".
Maybe you can remeasure the wheels inside edge to inside edge and report back on what you find? Wouldn't hurt to add some pics if you can of the different wheels to help better answer more questions.
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
OK, so I went out and measured the inside width of my wheels. My best 4 are 3-7/8 inches wide inside. Then, I have 2 that are 4-7/8 inches wide inside. So I guess I don't have a surplus of wheels for my 53 after all. The truck does have 4 wheels on it that are 16 inch, 6 lug with 6:50 X 16 tires mounted, so I'm guessing that they will turn out to be a little wider than 3-7/8. After thinking about this a bit, I do seem to remember that the guy I bought the 4 best ones from told me that he had originally bought them for his 46 truck. I imagine that I just assumed they were all interchangeable. AND yes, I do know what happens when one assumes.
Mike Burns 1940 Chev 1/2 ton 1953 Chev 1/2 ton 1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe 1947 Indian Chief 1943 Indian 741
Mike the 4 rims that you measured at 3-7/8" wide inside will most likely be the 1941-47 standard 1/2 ton truck wheels as mentioned above. The 4" width measurements weren't that exact as you can confirm from the different measurement ranges you previously reported.
I have a spare set of 16" 6 lug wheels for my '51 3100 that also have the 6.50 X 16 tires (old bias plies) still mounted except for one wheel without a tire. That one measures roughly 4-1/2" wide (at the center of the tire bead surfaces) so yours mounted on your truck are most likely the standard 16" X 4-1/2" rims which would be original for your '53.
You mentioned the wheels mounted on your truck appear to have had the "clips added to them". It could be the original clips where damaged/replaced or simple removed and remounted (perhaps for painting?) as they are available form some vendors.
Without some further digging, I can't say what the 2 wider (4-7/8") wheels may be from. Maybe another Bolter has some info on that???
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Mike, I would like to PM you about the wheels that will fit my 47. The settings won't let me at this time, but I am actively looking for one right now and live maybe an hour from you. Please reach out if you can.
You'll need 4 more posts before Mike can PM you, or you can PM him. I would avoid posting phone numbers or e-mail addresses in the open forum. (Mike's e-mail is posted in his profile, which you might be able to see.
Please take any offer to buy or sell to PM or e-mail. Thanks
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Like has been said, 1941-1947 wheels for 16" tires were 4-inches wide, although 4.5" wide wheels were available fitted with 6.50x16 tires (same for 1948 and 1949.) By 1951 (not sure about 1950) 3100 wheels were 4.5 inches wide. There are also 5-inch wide 16" wheels that were used on 1955 2nd series 3100's, but they only had three hubcap clips. I had an assortment of all those sizes on my truck, and needed to find some 4.5" wheels for a complete set.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Thanks for the specs! I haven't needed parts or anything for quite awhile, so have not been very active on the forum. Also, I cannot yet view another member's profile. I will update mine so that my email is visible.