The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (JW51, KEVINSKI, Joe H, WingWright, 3800GUY, Gdads51), 121 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,255
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#150827 02/07/2007 4:53 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 18
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 18
I thought I had a 235 six cylinder in my 1955 2nd seies 6400 truck but while reading the old post on the forum I came across some literature that said there were some 261 engines in the bigger trucks and it listed the block number for the 1955, 261 as 3837012. When I check, that is the number on my block. Also it looks like under the orange paint on the engine it used to ne painted yellow.

[img]http://thumb9.webshots.net/t/59/759/7/48/39/2864748390100433169qHIIMn_th.jpg[/img]

#150828 02/07/2007 5:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
check for captains bars at starter,,,261,,,,doc

#150829 02/07/2007 5:54 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
Congratulations! You have a 55-57 261 motor! Look for yourself at: http://www.inliners.org/casting/numbers.html


#150830 02/07/2007 6:22 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 18
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 18
I am working on getting the brakes to work right now. Also have a fuel tank problem but the motor runs very well. A little more work and she'll be road worthy! Thanks for the help.

#150831 02/07/2007 7:17 PM
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Not all 261's have the Captains Bars. That casting no., on the passenger side of the block, is the best indicator. I had a engine, I pulled sitting here, that I thought for the longest time, was a 235, but after the previous owner insisted that it was actually a 261, I looked it up on the inliners site, & discovered it was actually a 261. It had no Captains bars, as my other 261 had.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0