The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (FAST55, Phak1, Gib70, DadsFirstPickup, Bill Hanlon), 135 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1507492 07/01/2023 7:35 PM
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
I’m planning to start the frame/running gear swap with my 53 3100 onto a 1995 s10(4.3 v6)I’ve planned out most of it but not so much for the gauges, I would like to use the original gauges but not sure if that’s possible. I could go the aftermarket route and spend quite a bit but would rather use the original as they look better in my opinion but need some help understanding how to do that if it’s possible. Any help or suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,497
The gauge rundown is probably: the ammeter if you have the 0 to 60 amp one will be okay, the temp gauge could either be stock (we could call it mechanical) or a conversion to electric, the temp gauge...same thing, either stock or adapted. Your fuel gauge will be a problem. If you're going with the 95 S10, you'll have fuel injection, a different gas tank and a completely different sender. Your original gas gauge wanted variable resistance between 0 and 30 ohms. The S10 will probably have a sender that provides 40 to 250 ohms, so it won't combine with your old gauge. However...if you look in the interiors section, you'll see a decal template at the top of the page. I provided that for free use a few years ago and with it and some waterslide decal paper and a color laser (or inkjet if you coat the printed decal with clear enamel, urethane or such) you can adapt all sort of gauges and make them look original. And...I've even made a GPS speedometer with a face plate that mimics the original (just for my own use at this point...need to test it further). That will let you have a speedometer that looks pretty original.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Online: Content
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 2,457
The oil pressure gauge would just require a piece or two of brass adapters from your local hardware store.

The gas gauge wouldn't operate with the S-10's sending unit. You MIGHT be able to find a 0 ohm empty, 30 ohm full adjustable sending unit to fit the S-10 tank. Someone makes an electronic device that interprets among the different gas gauge systems. Probably an easier, but more expensive, fix.

The ammeter COULD be spliced into the S-10 electrical system, but changing the ammeter to a voltmeter would probably be easier and less likely to cause a fire under your dashboard. Voltmeters to match your gauge set are available in the aftermarket.

The water temp gauge is the easiest and the hardest to use. Easy because all you have to do is get it into the coolant somewhere near, and on the engine side of, the thermostat. Hard because you'll need to have a deep enough hole to bury it in.


'57 GMC 102, Original 347 V8, HydraMatic, 3.08 rear gear, added A/C, disk front brakes, HEI, AFB carb, '98 Honda Black Currant paint. T-boned and totaled 10/12
'52 GMC 152 Stake Bed, Original 228, SM420, added A/C, HEI, disk front brakes, '67 Chev 3.55 rear gear. Gets used as a real truck.
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Thank you both for your input. Sounds like temp, amp meter and oil pressure should be relatively straight forward. Couple options to look into for fuel sender as the ohms are different. Is there any other option for speedo? It’s a 4l60e trans and think it’s gear driven, couldn’t that be adapted? I’m guessing no kits out there but I’d think someone has figured it out.

Thank you again!


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 64
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 64
For my conversion, I also want to maintain the original look. My gauges won’t be functional. I found a device that plugs into the s10 OBD II port and displays all data in real-time. I think some even display fuel data. App based with blue tooth is available, so I can use my iphone as the display. With the steel dash, I can mount my phone just about anywhere with the magnetic phone mount. Very cost effective in comparison and a lot easier.


1954 3100 with Hydra-Matic
Currently undergoing S10 conversion
Parkinson’s...it’s not just for the elderly
Caution, slow man at work
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
If it is a 4L60e it has a VSS. If it does have a gear driven speedo output then it is a 700-R4.

You can get a converter box to go from either to the other.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
If you want to come over sometime, I can make you a set of stencils or faces. I have the equipment for that.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
If you want to come over sometime, I can make you a set of stencils or faces. I have the equipment for that.

Sounds like a plan, thank you!!


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,832
Here is a pic of an S10-V8 with a factory stock temp gauge fitting in rear of V8 manifold. There is room for the mechanical temp bulb and the capillary tube is long enough to reach. 4.3 is the same.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/rzYRqLtX/S10-054.jpg[/img]


Evan
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
Jon G's guide for making your own faces is pretty applicable here. I had re-faced a bunch of electronic gauges for mine and they all worked and looked pretty decent and looked original.

That said I sprung for the Classic Instruments set for mine this year, they look original but all electronic and you can use a pulse generator or GPS pulse generator to run the speedometer.

I should add I'm running a 1994 4.3 TBI in mine (but original 1949 frame & suspension). I'm a big fan of those engines.

Last edited by NorthCoast3800; 07/09/2023 1:48 AM. Reason: Clarification

1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
What are you doing for a fuel tank? Are you going to use the S10 one and build an adapter to use the stock filler location?


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Fibonachu
What are you doing for a fuel tank? Are you going to use the S10 one and build an adapter to use the stock filler location?

That is my plan, sounds like I’ll need to adapt a sender with the correct ohms. I’ll need to research that more as I get closer to it.


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: May 2022
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by NorthCoast3800
Jon G's guide for making your own faces is pretty applicable here. I had re-faced a bunch of electronic gauges for mine and they all worked and looked pretty decent and looked original.

That said I sprung for the Classic Instruments set for mine this year, they look original but all electronic and you can use a pulse generator or GPS pulse generator to run the speedometer.

I should add I'm running a 1994 4.3 TBI in mine (but original 1949 frame & suspension). I'm a big fan of those engines.

When I researched the 4.3 I will have to agree and think it will be dependable and have enough power to move down the road just fine.


1953 Chevy 3100
   235, 3 spd. Mostly original so far
"The 1953 that Came Back"
Follow the build in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Derail77
When I researched the 4.3 I will have to agree and think it will be dependable and have enough power to move down the road just fine.

Absolutely. Good power, good mileage and great parts availability. Strong engines. You can rework them for some pretty good power but if you’re going more for a daily driver they offer a lot as-is especially in the mid-90s.


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy

Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0