The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Charles in CA, mick53, Gray_Ghost, BC59, klhansen), 168 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,277
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
Hey guys, I have converted my 3 speed manual over to a 700R4. I'm having some difficulty in finding a starter that will connect. I have a 1974 I6 250 in the truck, along with a 1990 700R4 transmission. I have thus far been unable to get a starter that will connect to this situation. Never imagined that this would be the difficult part. When I go to the parts store, what starter should I be looking for? The last one I purchased was for a 1974 Nova w/I6 250 and auto transmission, but it isn't lining up. Any help is appreciated.


"The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it" ~ William James

'25 Chevy Superior
'66 Chevy C10
'03 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
Which flexplate did you use in the conversion ?
168 teeth ?


1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original.
Some of this story is in the Side Lot
Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by fattboyzz
Which flexplate did you use in the conversion ?
168 teeth ?

I don't remember how many teeth it had, but we matched it up with the same size as the pressure plate that was on the manual transmission.


"The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it" ~ William James

'25 Chevy Superior
'66 Chevy C10
'03 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
Do you have some pics ?

You tried both straight and offset bolt starters ?


1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original.
Some of this story is in the Side Lot
Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by fattboyzz
Do you have some pics ?

You tried both straight and offset bolt starters ?

Guess I don't know what an offset bolt starter is, I'll have to check that out


"The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it" ~ William James

'25 Chevy Superior
'66 Chevy C10
'03 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
Where the starter mounts on the block there are 3 bolt holes.
The outer hole is used on both starters. The inner holes are for either a straight mount, or an offset mount.
Attachments
2016-09-01_14-23-00.jpg (96.55 KB, 100 downloads)

Last edited by fattboyzz; 06/23/2023 9:38 PM.

1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original.
Some of this story is in the Side Lot
Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by fattboyzz
Where the starter mounts on the block there are 3 bolt holes.
The outer hole is used on both starters. The inner holes are for either a straight mount, or an offset mount.

Yes sir. I found that out. I got one ordered today from NAPA, supposed to pick it up tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed. This old girl has sat long enough!! I appreciate your help


"The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it" ~ William James

'25 Chevy Superior
'66 Chevy C10
'03 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 190
Good deal 👍🇺🇸👍


1962 C10 with a 235 6cyl -- all of the drive train seems to be original.
Some of this story is in the Side Lot
Some people like a new truck. I liked the old ones.
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 71
Originally Posted by fattboyzz
Good deal 👍🇺🇸👍
Got the starter installed, fit perfectly. Offset starter, never heard of it before. Guess you are never to old to learn. This old truck is causing me to go to school quite often. A special thanks goes out to all of my teachers!!


"The greatest use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it" ~ William James

'25 Chevy Superior
'66 Chevy C10
'03 Chevy Silverado 1500 HD
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
The difference is in the diameter of the flywheel/flex plate. I don't recall which is which, but offsetting the starter drive gear aligns it with the different flywheel diameter. The dimension change isn't much, but it's important to match the starter with the flywheel.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
5
'Bolter
'Bolter
5 Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 899
straight across bolts = small flywheel 153 tooth. Offset bolts = large flywheel 168 tooth.


Brian
1955.2 3100 Truck
The older I get the more dangerous I am!!!!!
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,098
The offset bolt pattern mounts to the block and fits the 168 tooth flywheel/flexplate. The straight across bolt pattern mounts to the
block and fits the 153 tooth flywheel/flexplate.
Your original manual transmission has a 3 hole starter that mounted to the bellhousing and matched up with a 168 tooth flywheel.
Fred


1956 3100 Pickup/Red/350/3sp OD/PS/Disc Brakes
1957 Bel Air Sport Coupe/Red/355/TH350/PS/Disc Brakes
2017 Silverado LT Single Cab SB/Black/5.3/6 Speed Trans
1947 Willys CJ2A w/F-Head engine

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0