The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 206 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1505898 06/19/2023 3:06 PM
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 360
This just popped up locally and I’m no where near this part of my build. I haven’t done any research or know a lot about this so I’m here asking.

Can I put a ‘57 chevy Saginaw 4 speed behind a ‘60 261 as a direct bolt on? Going in a ‘46 1/2 ton with the torque tube rear and a 3:55 r&p conversion. I have the ‘46 bell housing and trans crossmember. Running an 11” clutch. If it can be done I assume the torque tube needs to be shortened and and some sort of adapter used? Probably a little floor modification as well.

Asking $500.??? I know nothing of trans prices or availabilities. A few pics with all the numbers for reference. Thanks for your time and help.

Ed
Attachments
IMG_6256.jpeg (506.07 KB, 68 downloads)
IMG_6257.jpeg (374.14 KB, 68 downloads)
IMG_6258.jpeg (469.14 KB, 66 downloads)

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
I'm not aware of any way to adapt that trans to your torque tube rear. So, if you keep the rear you need to stay with a torque tube trans, if you use that trans you need to swap to an open driveshaft rear.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
The Saginaw will bolt to a 1948 and later clutch housing. The 46 clutch housing has a different bolt pattern than the 1948 and later. Back about 25 years ago, Patric Dykes had someone in Minnesota making adapters for a Saginaw to fit a torque tube, Patric was the guy that developed the 3.55 ring set about 35 years ago. Patrick went out of business several years ago and died shortly after that. And I can't find the name of the guy that made the adapters.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0