I have a 1956 chevy 3100 cab on a 1955 3600 frame. There is a 235 engine in it and i was wondering if that engine was a numbers matching engine to either the frame or the cab. The block and head are currently at a shop being cleaned, but I have a few pictures that may shed some light. I'm not sure exactly where all the numbers are at on it. Also the number on the frame is something like 25500o27o, its hard to read as it has faded. The number on cab is 3A560019541, which is the vin#.
Your pictures pixel out when they're enlarged just before the block casting number can be read accurately, and we'll also need the stamped (not cast) engine number from the machined pad just to the rear of the distributor to make an educated guess about the engine's original application. The "VIN" number won't be helpful at all, especially since the cab and frame are probably different year production. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
I'm getting 3764476 on the block (first picture) which translates to a 58-62 235. So that wouldn't match a 55 or 56 chassis.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
I will 2nd Kevin's info about the block casting number "3764476".
Can sorta read bits and pieces of the casting date code: 1st character "B" (possibly), followed by "2" and an unknown (those 2 numbers would indicate day of the month) and ending with what looks like "9" (which would signify the year 1959).
My resource book indicates this casting number identifies '59-'62 235 with 135HP rating, but doesn't say type of vehicle (truck/car???).
Jerry is right that the key number we need to know will be the stamped character set on the machined pad directly behind the distributor location.
On the color orange you mentioned, I am not seeing anything actually painted orange in your pictures of the block and head. Just orangish rust. If there is orange paint anywhere else, it won't be original paint for your truck.
Get back with us when you can with the engine ID stamping data and we can provide better info.
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
This indicates that no 235's were painted orange. Maybe it's been rebuilt before and painted orange.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
That "orange paint" on your fuel pump mounting flange (blue circled spot) is more likely gasket sealer. As mentioned, any orange paint wouldn't be original to that era engine.
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
There's orange paint elsewhere, but I think it was repainted and rebuilt many years ago as the engine looks like it has very low miles on the build, like minimal wear internally. I thought orange was the wrong color for that engine. Would it have been blue or gray originally, or something else?
Would it have been blue or gray originally, or something else?
Blue or Blue-gray. Here's a clip from that file I linked earlier.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
If there is orange paint on the engine, it probably just means that the person who replaced the original engine painted the replacement before installing it.
1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)
1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
I sent my head out to a local machine shop a couple years back to have them recondition it back to spec. When I got it back, it was painted Chevy Orange. I repainted it Gray.
Last edited by Phak1; 06/17/202312:31 AM. Reason: Correct spelling
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
I just got the 235 block for my truck back today. I took a couple pictures of the numbers on the passenger side of the block, and was wondering if someone would be able to tell from those numbers what year the engine was made. The second picture if you can't read it says CON 2 on the left hand and B 29 8 on the right hand. And the dial in between is pointing straight up.
The info both Kevin and I provided in previous replies above indicates the casting# 3764476 indicates a 1958-62 235.
The casting date code "B 29 8" decodes as:
B = February
29 = 29th day of Feb (must have been a leap year)
8 = 1958 (would have been the first production year using the noted casting#)
Hope this answers your question.
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Thanks Dan! Considering the frame is a 55, the cab and front clip are a 56, and the engine is a 58, I suppose none of it is original to each other, but now I know. Funny it was made on a leap day
You are 100% correct that 1958 wasn't a leap year. Bad assumption on my part without checking the facts. My apologies!
In zooming in on Jsalchenberg's picture of the casting code date marks, it's possible (probable?) that the rusty uneven cast surface built up in the area has made the first character appear more like a "B".
Take the rust onto account and that first character is more likely a "D", which would indicate "April" of 1958. April did have a 29th day (were February didn't) making it more likely the engine the engine was built in April 1958 instead of February.
Jsalchenberg,
Scrub off the surface of the machined pad just behind the distributor mounting hole and add a picture of the serial# stampings that should be on that surface to help better define what your engine is.
According to this 1958 Chevrolet Truck Data document, the engine serial number can be decoded to identify the engine and truck it was installed in originally (see screenshot of the extracted code chart below).
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
So, I took a wire brush and cleaned a few spots on the block real well. First picture, I cleaned off that date code and it unmistakably shows a "B" so I'm not sure what's going on there. Second picture, that machined surface behind the distributor has nothing but machining marks. In the third picture, I found what looks like "058S" stamped into the side of the block just in front of the distributor hole.
The location you found the partial serial on the gasket face is where the complete block serial is stamped as a second location on many engines I suspect with more forensic cleaning that area would yield the complete serial Try lighting it from different angles and wetting it too You might get more numbers fairly easily. -s
What 2ManyTrucks said. I'm possibly seeing another 5 there, or maybe I'm just imagining it. It may be obliterated by rust. Try lightly filing that flat as well. If all else fails, you could try using some acid on it to bring out the numbers. That will sometimes work.
Kevin 1951 Chevy 3100 work truck Follow this saga in Project Journal Photos 1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car) Busting rust since the mid-60's If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
A scotch pad on a grinder will clean the surface up fast and easy without digging into the base metal.
The Feb 29 date could be from a foundry worker not realizing Feb was over and it was now March. For the most part that date is pretty useless to the foundry unless they find a problem during the machine work that required them to cull anything cast on that date out of the system due to a defect.
Mike B
Mike Boteler
1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod 1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep 1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo 1984 Jeep CJ7 +++++ Silver Spring, MD
I cleaned the block up really well on that spot and looked at it in the light from several angles, and I still just see the 058S with maybe another 0 or O after the S. I took a picture of the only other numbers on the block that I haven't posted a picture of already. The picture is on the drivers side. So is there any info that can be taken from the 058S? I'll look more as I work on the engine and clean some more and make a post if I discover any new digits there.
This is a replacement block, cast on February 29, 1968 and that was a leap year. It has two part numbers 3775149 as a Partial Engine and 3764752 as a Fitted Cylinder Block 55-62 The last parts book I found the part numbers in was June of 71
Wow, 1968! Glad we have some forensic Scientists on board, great work guys.
Phil Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals
1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes Project Journals Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Another tidbit of knowledge to add to the Stovebolt brain locker.
Dan
~ Dan 1951 Chevy 3 window 3100 Follow this story in the DITY Gallery "My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine" 1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver) US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Wow, the engine is a lot newer than I thought. Now that I know a little more about the engine, it'll be helpful as I make progress on getting this project back up and running. I'll keep you all posted as I move along. Thanks for all the info and help!