The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Hanks custodian, Southerntruck), 78 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1503942 06/06/2023 6:42 PM
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 76
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 76
Hello everyone,
I was trying to spot sand some rust spots out of my 1950 cab roof and it has now become almost the entire roof. I sanded all the way to 36 grit but as you seen in the pictures this is what I am left with. My question is that black stuff I am seeing is it rust? I cant seem to get it to sand out. You can see the scratches from the sanding but I am not sure if this is just pitting in the original metal and it would be fine to leave or not. Any advice on how to remove or is it ok to leave?
Thank you!
Attachments
hood2.jpg (214.45 KB, 195 downloads)
hood.jpg (325.92 KB, 193 downloads)

Last edited by jasrking; 06/06/2023 6:42 PM.
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 217
V
'Bolter
'Bolter
V Offline
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 217
My suggestion is this...Dupont or some paint supplier may have some type of metal perp which is a mild acid to kill rust...and/or put a thin coat of body filler over it. There are now new primers that are much better than original lacquer primer and you could check with a good auto paint supply and ask for advice. Some etching/activator primer might be a good choice.

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,076
Yeah, you've got rust pits in the roof. Not uncommon. You can try using a wire wheel if the pits aren't too deep. Phosphoric acid (aka Ospho) available at your local hardware store will convert the rust to iron phosphate, but most epoxy primers (which is what you should use) aren't compatible with phosphate treated metal. Check with your primer supplier. Evaporust makes a gel product which is different than Ospho, and will remove the rust, however, I'm not sure of the compatibility with epoxy primers. Again, check with the paint supplier. The REAL way to get rid of rust in pits is to sandblast, then immediately prime after a grease and wax remover wipe-down.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 76
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 76
thx

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
I'll typically sand with a 40 or 60 grit and work my way up to a 180 grit. If, while sanding, I still see orange dust being made, I keep sanding. If I don't, I chalk the dark area to stain and move on. I haven't had any paint work bubble to date. And some of my epoxy primer jobs are going on 11 years!

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
I would go to town with a red Scotchbright pad by hand on those areas. It gets into recesses better than sand paper and you won't risk making the metal too thin. If you do use Ospho, make certain then you diligently scrub off the area to remove any excess dried on Ospho and the white powdery residue left behind. This powder is a byproduct of the chemical process. I use a red Scotchbright pad moistened with Ospho to do this cleanup. Again, the Scotchbright pad gets into the depression nicely.
This additional application of Ospho used for cleanup will not create more powder since there is to iron oxide present to make a reaction.
Clean up with your favorite degreaser before applying epoxy primer. I use acetone. Wipe it on with a wet lintless cloth and immediately wipe it with a dry lintless cloth. Do this until the dry cloth remains clean.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 76
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 76
thx again..will try the scotchbright followed by the ospho

Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
5
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man
5 Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,281
If you do end up sealing the bare metal with epoxy primer, just make sure to do a thorough clean up of the metal first.
Failure to do that will ruin any kind of primer.


1952 5-window - return to "as built" condition | 1950 3100 with a 235 and a T-5 transmission
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
I'm also an Ospho user. I scrub with red pad and after it drys hit it with 120 on the sander before epoxy. But I use an Epoxy that is intended to be used over acid based treatments. Some, such as Southern Poly do not allow that. Read the spec sheets to be sure of yours. I chose Kirker 'cause it works for me and is reasonably priced.

Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
I was not aware that some Epoxy primers were acceptable for use over Ospho. I have some Kirker Epoxy here. Are you saying that it OK to use it on top of ospho. If so, that would simplify another little project that I'm working on.


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Interestingly enough someone decided to do a "test" of Kirkers claim on the adhesion of their primer over ospho treated metal. Here's a 2-part video (not mine) that shows the results.

Ospho and Kirker Primer Test Video - Part 1

Ospho and Kirker Primer Test Video - Part 2

Appears that the adhesion claim is good. The testing methods aren't what I would call being done in the safest manner dang , but the results of no adhesion loss kinda gets the point across.

Thanks for sharing the Kirkers product knowledge on this topic KENC! thumbs_up

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 760
That info helped me a lot. I currently have the vertical pieces of my grille treated with ospho. These would be almost impossible to sand or even scuff completely. So I'm curious for an opinion. Do you think that using a stiff wire wheel on them would serve to accomplish the same thing, i.e. do an adequate job?


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Gearhead, Stovebolt Tech and Parts Tracker, Mod for Swap Meet and GTT
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,918
Mike,

Just MHO, but the video guy's 4 different tests showed no real difference in the adhesion on the Kirker's primer. It seems scuffing may not really be necessary. headscratch

I do think it may be fine to use a gently applied wire wheel to do the "scuff" work, if you have concerns about getting the best adhesion.

The "gentle" part may be the most important factor though from both a safety aspect and not doing any damage to your pieces.

As with any scuffing action, don't forget the follow on cleanup to remove any loose particles before applying your primer. wink

Dan


~ Dan
1951 Chevy 3 window 3100
Follow this story in the DITY Gallery
"My Grandpa Carl's Truck and How it Became Mine"
1966 Chevelle (Wife's Hot Rod) | 2013 Chevy Silverado (Current daily driver)
US Army MSG Retired (1977-1998) | Com Fac Maint Lead Tech Retired (1998-2021)

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0