The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Ridgeback, Otto Skorzeny, 39Master85, 1955 1 Series, Hanks custodian), 80 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,079
Posts1,056,286
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 117
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 117
How do you get the little brass clips out of the plug? Super basic thing but I'm trying not to wreck it.
I'm sure there's a trick to it?
Attachments
C978C8E1-625E-4BE9-BDA5-A0B8B91ABE65.jpeg (165.05 KB, 156 downloads)


1961 Chevy C40 Flatbed 261
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
2
'Bolter
'Bolter
2 Offline
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 1,004
Usually you can slide something small and flat into the smaller notch visible on the front side in your posted photo
This notch lets you compress a tab that sticks out of the brass part which is holding it in the black plastic

After removing it
You might have to bend the brass tab back up a bit before reinserting because they aren’t exactly great springs

I usually use a very tiny screwdriver for this task

If you aren’t sure of the process try on a junk one first from the wreckers to get a feel for it
-s

Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 117
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 117
Thanks 2manytrucks, that's kind of what I thought but it was kind of hard to see. Now to hunt down a tiny screwdriver 😂


1961 Chevy C40 Flatbed 261
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,841
Small jeweler's flathead screwdriver.


Craig

My '50 Chevy 3100 5 window, '62-235cu, 3:55 rear
My truck ....... Respect The Rust
If I'm not working on my truck, '65 m00stang or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 117
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Mar 2022
Posts: 117
I ended up using a piece of trapping wire flattened on the anvil, worked alright, although a tiny screwdriver like suggested would be better. Thanks guys!


1961 Chevy C40 Flatbed 261
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
High Plains yer larnin from them "bolters". Seriously get,or make as was said a tool to trip those little brass triggers thru that little slot,once out adjust so it snaps back in. Can then put in a fresh clean one with no corrosion.

Last edited by fixite7; 05/30/2023 7:54 PM.
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2023
Posts: 443
I’ve got a small set of feeler gauges that I used on mine with no problems.


1954 Chevy 3100
One problem solved doesn’t seem to shorten the list
Montgomery, AL
In Project Journals

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0