The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
9 members (Rusty Heaps, 1955 1 Series, 55shaker, 3800GUY, RaNfLaS, tclederman, Otto Skorzeny, wilbur53, FAST55), 157 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,104
Posts1,056,201
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
Just curious what brand and style of wheel I should go with for my pickup? Truck is all stock (mostly), and I prefer to keep the original look. I just picked up some nice 215/85R16 tires, so obviously I'll be going with a 16" rim.

The reason for my questions is I would like to find rims that accept original or aftermarket hubcaps. I also am not opposed to a set of used rims either.

Thank you!


1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,495
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,495
The only wheels I'm aware of that will accept original hubcaps are the original wheels, although you may be able to add some inside clips to other wheels. There were some nice 16 inch Rally Wheels made by Chevy for some 70s pickups but they're pretty rare. Some of the aftermarket hubcaps will work on the Rally Wheels or any other standard 16 inch wheel.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
I had Wheelsmith make a set of rims for me that mimic the original wheels.

The originals were 16"x4.5"

I had these Smoothies made in 16"x6" with 3.5" backspace. If I were to do it again I'd have them made in 16"x5" to more closely match the original appearance. Radial tires are installed.

They sell the hubcaps too. If you want to use your original hubcaps, they will have to weld clips to the rims to hold them. Their caps attach differently.

$1,523 including shipping. Worth it in my opinion.
Attachments
IMG_20220212_125123.jpg (72.13 KB, 63 downloads)
IMG_20220212_125845-001.jpg (63.95 KB, 63 downloads)
IMG_20220212_171020.jpg (69.5 KB, 63 downloads)
IMG_20220131_152910.jpg (84.41 KB, 63 downloads)
IMG_20220201_122952.jpg (67.85 KB, 63 downloads)
IMG_20220203_170446.jpg (54.47 KB, 57 downloads)
IMG_20220203_170802.jpg (92.32 KB, 57 downloads)

Last edited by Otto Skorzeny; 05/04/2023 5:09 PM.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,495
J
Moderator, Electrical Bay
Moderator, Electrical Bay
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2014
Posts: 4,495
I should add...not the reproduction Rally Wheels. Those are out there but only work with the center cap approach. To find one with 6 holes and the little hubcap nubbins is not easy.


~ Jon
1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235 | T5 with 3.07 rear end
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
By the way, I looked for original rims or some similar but they are very hard to find , especially in usable condition. I figured it was easier to have nice new ones made and pay the price, rather than trying to find and repair beat up rusty wheels.

I'm very happy with them.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2022
Posts: 43
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
I had Wheelsmith make a set of rims for me that mimic the original wheels.

The originals were 16"x4.5"

I had these Smoothies made in 16"x6" with 3.5" backspace. If I were to do it again I'd have them made in 16"x5" to more closely match the original appearance. Radial tires are installed.

They sell the hubcaps too. If you want to use your original hubcaps, they will have to weld clips to the rims to hold them. Their caps attach differently.

$1,523 including shipping. Worth it in my opinion.

This is great information! Thank you. It sure sounds like a good option.

I don't have original hubcaps so I would need to get a set as well. The look of your truck is what I am going for in terms of wheels and tires. The tires I bought are 10ply radials and they were about as close looking to stock as possible without the rough ride.


1953 Chevy 3100 4 spd
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,808
I'm glad I could help. The guy I placed the order with at Wheelsmith has an AD truck as well so I went with his suggestion/knowledge on the backspace. I do not know what the wheel offset or backspace is on the 4.5" wide originals.

I also didn't have original hubcaps or wheels so ordering these was a simple solution. When you go to the website, look for the 16" Smoothies.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)

Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0