The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (FAST55, Hotrod Lincoln, Danielbolt), 96 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,487
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#149759 12/28/2006 3:21 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
This truck is my first project and I have a question. Is there a way to improve my braking and still keep my 8-lug axles? I know if I swap to a half-ton front axle, I can get disc brake kits from lots of places, but part of the reason I bought the 3600 was to have something a little different. I have heard you can drill and slot the drums and add a power booster. Is this the best option, or is there a way to add disc brakes and keep my 8-lug axles? Thanks for any help you can give me. At 39, I finally got my project to work on and I am very excited. OLD TRUCKS RULE!!!!!!


If you think you can't, you're right. If you think you can, you're right.
#149760 12/28/2006 3:33 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Here is some thing that may help. the same company has many products for your truck.
http://www.abspowerbrake.com/AbsCatalogPag-039.jpg


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#149761 12/28/2006 3:36 AM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
How much better do you need it to get?

I ask because you might be able to update to Bendix type brakes and metallic brake linings and get a tremendous improvement.

Welcome to the 'bolt and get us informed of your progress!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
#149762 12/28/2006 3:45 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Her is some more help.
http://www.jprpowerbrake.com/
And OldSubs advice will go a long way


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#149763 12/28/2006 3:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,276
Oh and welcone to the board. The guys here are great no more help any where else.


The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.
Grant from Roy, Washington
1956 6100 Chevy Dump Truck in the Gallery
1964 GMC Drump Truck in the Gallery
user
http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/56Taskforce/slideshow/
#149764 12/29/2006 4:05 AM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9
Thanks Grant and OlSub. I'll do some checking on this info. I just need brakes that will keep up with all the newbies moving to Colorado until they learn that you need more than 50 ft. to stop when someone cuts you of and then hits their brakes. frown


If you think you can't, you're right. If you think you can, you're right.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0