The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Otto Skorzeny, Nick in Manitou, Hotrod Lincoln, LAROKE, Chip O, 2 invisible), 104 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,131
Posts1,056,369
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1497253 04/19/2023 8:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2023
Posts: 4
3
Moderated
Moderated
3 Offline
Joined: Apr 2023
Posts: 4
At least I think it's a 216. Anyway, I got the truck in March and the weather was cool. The truck ran about 165-170. As the weather got warmer, so did the engine until it became a problem. Checked the thermostat which was okay but replaced it anyway. Flushed the cooling system then upgraded the original radiator with a higher performance radiator from US Radiator. The truck still wants to run about 190 and closer to 200 when it idles. Still has the original four blade fan, so maybe an upgrade there or an electric fan in front of the rad, I don't know. I don't want to treat a symptom and miss the problem. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Scott
Attachments
IMG_0044.JPG (266.23 KB, 105 downloads)
IMG_0045.JPG (285 KB, 103 downloads)

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 181
At idle very little air is being drawn thru the radiator by the low pitch fan blades, then too at idle the water pump is slowed so that reduced water is being moved thru the system. Additionally, with less water movement the hotter water tends to rise to the top of the engine where the water temperature sensor is located.


1952 Chevy Pickup Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,829
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,829
That is normal. My unrestored 216 runs at 180 all the time unless I'm stuck in a traffic jam like I was yesterday. Temperature creeped up to 190-200 and didn't come down till I started moving again.

Unless your radiator is blowing water and steam out of the cap, you aren't overheating.

Leave your truck alone. An electric fan will probably block more air than it moves. They look awful, too.

Last edited by Peggy M; 04/20/2023 2:06 PM. Reason: Sorry ... correct for language

1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 270
What Otto says.
But, what a beautiful truck!
Still in awe.
C


~Charley
1954 Chevy 3100 with 235
“Bud”
Follow along in the DITY
1963 Chevy half ton stepside short box 230
1954 GMC 3 ton 302
And several more Chevy camper and work trucks 1979 1987 1996
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
Check and make sure the heat riser is working properly. I put a 170 thermostat in my 39 216 and it doesn't go above it no matter the outside temp. I also have an original gm 6 bladed fan on it. Never have an overheating problem.

Rick


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Incorrect timing can cause an engine to run hot.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Wow that engine bay is beautiful! I have never seen a six bladed fan but it sounds interesting. My 216 cooled much better when I had the block tanked during the boring process. These engines weren't known for their exceptional cooling capabilities. I am talking about the pre 1941 216s. The water pump has one hole to push water into the block. One handy thing is the throttle control that you can use to elevate the idling speed to coo; it off a bit.

Last edited by truckernix; 04/20/2023 2:29 AM.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0