The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (KEVINSKI), 160 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
Probably a dumb question, but I gotta ask anyway. On a 6 Volt Delco generator on a '50 3100, which of the two terminals is the field terminal and which one is the armature terminal. I'm thinking I have my wires crossed, because with a new voltage regulator and having done the polarization at the regulator, I still get a discharge indication on my gauge in the truck. I completely rewired the truck, and am at a standstill. I've checked the wires at the gauge and they are right. Also, with the little time I have been running the truck, the battery will not stay charged. New battery, rebuilt generator, new voltage regulator--what am I missing?

Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,815
Looking at the Genny from the top , standing over the driver's fender, the Field terminal is on top.

Sitting in the driver seat looking forward, the field terminal is on the right.

Diagrams in the FSM confirm this in the Generator section, 12-15
Attachments
IMG_20230326_161034.jpg (100.09 KB, 155 downloads)


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
Thanks, Otto; that is the info I was searching for. I'll pop the hood tomorrow & I'm guessing that I have the wires crossed up.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Usually, the housing will be stamped "F" and "A" (field and armature). If not, look inside the housing. The Armature (charging output) post will be wired to one of the brushes, and the Field terminal will be attached to a small diameter solid wire going to one of the Field coils in the housing. It's not impossible for a rebuilder to attach the wires backwards during an overhaul of the generator.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 118
Guess I am going to have to pull the generator apart for a look-see, because the wires for field and armature are where they are supposed to be. Might as well do that while I'm doing the manifold swap-over. Looks like one step forward and two back!!!

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,803
Have you checked the voltage output at the armature terminal with the field wire grounded? It's possible the generator is working right and the regulator isn't allowing the charging current to get to the battery. There's a pretty simple procedure to test that possibility, but it's not a subject to tackle with a keyboard.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
With the ignition switch in the on position, without starting the engine, and pulling out the light switch, does the ammeter show a discharge. Could be possible the ammeter is not wired correctly. Hot Rod Jerry can inform you how to check if the generator is working properly.

Rick G


1939 Chevrolet Stake Truck
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Put a jumper wire from the field term on the gen to a ground. The gen should charge full force. Naturally don't run it to long or fast like this. The field term on the gen is smaller then the arm term & the field wire is generally smaller.

George


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0