The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (klhansen, 32Fordpuchoptop, FAST55, walter74), 95 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,319
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1489807 02/27/2023 3:40 PM
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
I also am building a 261 (1957) very similar to Chronamyd except solid lifters. Where can I purchase a suitable camshaft? I would like a stock type 261 solid lifter camshaft. Can anyone suggest where I can purchase a GM 3836484, Elgin E-293s, Sealed Power CS-293, Engine Pro MC-293 or Melling equivalent. I have been told the Melling to the 3836484 is CCS-29. Has anyone used their CCS-1 camshaft in a 261? Thanks Bob


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
CCS-1 Melling and Elgin E-293S are usually available on Ebay. They're also listed by Auto Zone, O'Reilly, and Advance Auto Parts. The Elgin cam is virtually a clone of the 261/Corvette cam- - - -same duration and lift, with a slightly different lash specification. The Melling cam has a little more exhaust duration than the Elgin cam. I'm currently building engines with both of those cams, but I don't have any dyno run figures yet. Depending on the current supply of new core cams for the manufacturers to grind, they're occasionally "out of stock". Putting a "long duration- - -high lift" cam in a stovebolt engine is a lost cause- - - - -the port shape and valve arrangement in the cylinder head makes it virtually impossible to get enough RPM and compression to take advantage of a radical cam. Take anything Clifford claims with a big grain of salt- - - - -the easiest way to make horsepower on paper instead of on a dyno is to lie about it!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
A general comment on cam choice:
First, decide at what RPM range you want the engine to operate most efficiently. That will be dictated by things like rear axle ratio, tire size, city or highway use.
Second, what maximum RPM do you need to enter the next higher gear with some reasonable torque available. For example a SM420 drops about 50% between gears, so if you want to have torque available on the 2-3 shift you might rev to 4000 RPM to come into 3rd at 2000 RPM. That would be necessary only with a fairly long duration cam -- much hotter than a 261 cam, say 220 deg. @ 0.050 lift. BTW my experience shows that such a cam gives a nice torque rise from 2600 on up but the fire goes out below about 2500.

From this analysis you can determine compression ratio requirements and carb size, both limited by stovebolt head design.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
I would like to purchase an Elgin-293s camshaft or equivalent, but so far have not been able find one. Have tried the usual sources, Ebay, Rock auto, Summit, Jeg's, NAPA, O'Reill, Advance auto, Partshawk, enginepartsshop. I would appreciate any other sources to try. Any idea when or if new cam cores would become available? I may have a line on a Melling CCS-1 but they only list it for a 235, will this camshaft work well?


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
AD Addict & Tinkerer
AD Addict & Tinkerer
Joined: Feb 2019
Posts: 4,482
EDIT BY MODERATOR: moved to start new thread


Phil
Moderator, The Engine Shop, Interiors and Project Journals

1952 Chevrolet 3100, Three on the Tree, 4:11 torque tube
Updated to: ‘59 235 w/hydraulic lifters, 12v w/alternator, HEI, PCV and Power front Disc Brakes
Project Journals
Stovebolt Gallery Forum
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
Thank You Moderator

1Ton_tommy
I just want a stock performance, reliable 261 engine. I purchased a rebuilt engine that was run without oil pressure damaging the bearings, cam and lifters. When oil pressure was finally obtained the engine was run for about 1:45. It did not seize, just made a lot of sludge. I am sending the block out for cleaning to remove the resulting contamination and installation of new cam bearings. I will install a spare crankshaft with new bearings and new lifters that I have in hand. Just need a camshaft. Considering the Melling CCS-1 if I get any positive feedback on its performance in a 261.


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
The CCS-1 has a slightly longer exhaust lobe duration than the Elgin cam. That will provide better cylinder scavenging without any real downside. Both of them offer better performance than the standard 235 solid lifter cam, without seriously compromising idle quality or low end torque. JEGS shows the CCS-1 in stock as of a few minutes ago at a pretty good price.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
Thank you Moderator

1Ton_tommy

I just want a stock performance, reliable 261 engine. I purchased a rebuilt engine that was run without oil pressure damaging the bearings, cam and lifters. When oil pressure was finally achieved the engine was run for about 1 ½ hours, it did not seize but generated a lot of sludge. I am sending the block out for cleaning to remove the resulting contamination and installation of new cam bearings. I will install a spare crankshaft with new bearings and new lifters that I have in hand. Just need a camshaft. Considering Melling CCS1 depending on the feedback I get here.

Hotrod Lincoln
Thank you for your information. Your input is highly regarded. Jeg’s is listing it as shipping from the manufacturer 03/30/23 pending availability but I might have one in Canada if you say it will work well or should I wait for an Elgin E-261s to show up?


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Herder of Cats, Goats, and Sheep (moderator)
Joined: Jan 2019
Posts: 2,242
I would not trust Jeg's website for shipping dates. They have burned me too many times.


From the Rocky Mountains?
Check in with the RM Bolters!
HiPo Forum Moderator

1958 Task Force Truck
"Frank" gets a new lease on life
Follow in the DITY Gallery
1959 3200 Task Force
The Ballad of Enkidu
The Saga in the DITY Gallery ~ and the story continues
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
I've spoken directly with the tech department at Elgin a few times, and apparently their supplier of core cams for the stovebolt six is a little intermittent. I haven't done any dyno testing on the Melling cam, but it looks pretty good on paper. I'm about to modify one to fit the 235 small journal block that was once a spray oiler engine by turning the bearing journals down to the smaller diameter. I'm modifying that one to accept a pressure-oiled crankshaft and rods from a later model 235. The same procedure will work to put the Corvette/261 cam into a 216 block.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Dec 2018
Posts: 2,450
No.1300 Found a ccs-1 on amazon about a month ago,it said last one,ordered it in looks fine,parkerized black finish on it. Ordered in lifters they are chinese solids with not enough crown compared to some 50 year old never used lifter barrels from a much older time. Plan to see about refinishing some worn lifters,the machine I saw for that doesn't put a radius (as in 50 inch circle on the lifter) It does leave the lifter face higher in the center. So jury is still out on that one!

No1300 #1490020 03/01/2023 12:56 AM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,456
Originally Posted by No1300
I also am building a 261 (1957) very similar to Chronamyd except solid lifters. Where can I purchase a suitable camshaft? I would like a stock type 261 solid lifter camshaft. Can anyone suggest where I can purchase a GM 3836484, Elgin E-293s, Sealed Power CS-293, Engine Pro MC-293 or Melling equivalent. Thanks Bob


I bought the cam & lifters for my 261 from local NAPA about a year ago.


BC
1960 Chevy C10 driver 261 T5 4.10 dana 44 power loc
1949 GMC 250 project in waiting
1960 C60 pasture art
Retired GM dealer tech. 1980 - 2022
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
BC59
Thanks: I tried a small NAPA outlet in Northern Minnesota last week and they said their 2291293 cam which is a Sealed Power CS293 unit was not currently available. I have a set of NOS GM solid lifters and a set obtained from Patrick's in Arizona before they went under. So, I just need to find a suitable camshaft.


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
I am not looking for a high performance cam. I just want a stock 261 or equivalent


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
Just buy a Melling CCS-1 and don't get OCD about it. It's a good solid lifter cam and is almost identical to the original 261 camshaft.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
Hotrod Lincoln:
I will buy a CCS1 if I can find one. I will order the Jeg's one you indicated but I expect it will not be available soon.


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
No1300,

Have you considered having your cam reground by one of the cam suppliers? If billets are now in short supply that might be a work around. Some, likely will resurface lifters too.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
Schneider cams in sandiego is one place that will regrind your cam. One of the last of the classic cam companies. They have supplied my last couple of cams and I have not had a single failure.


Mike
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
Thanks Dragsix for that information. I considered that option but shipping across the border can have challenges. I was able to find a Melling CCS-1 cam in Montreal of all places. It is not quite what I wanted but I have been told it will work well. Thanks to all for your input. I will most likely have more questions as I progress through this engine refresh.


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
I have Langdon's Bulldog cam in my 261 and I'm a happy camper.
Still totally streetable but a bit more umph in higher rpms.

I think they are ground by Delta.
Attachments
IMG_20221025_151659.jpg (212.62 KB, 173 downloads)

Last edited by Stovebold6; 03/08/2023 8:20 AM.
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Jul 2014
Posts: 892
Stovebold6, looking at your cam sheet, I'd say that's a pretty good cam for pulling at around 2600-2800 RPM. My Crower has split timing advanced 4 deg and 220deg duration at 0.050 and the fire starts to die below about 2600. If I had it to do over again I'd cut the intake duration about 10deg and retard the exhaust timing a little to keep the exhaust manifold and pipes a little cooler, also less noise.


1951 3800 1-ton
"Earning its keep from the get-go"
In the DITY Gallery
1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971.
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by 1Ton_tommy
Stovebold6, looking at your cam sheet, I'd say that's a pretty good cam for pulling at around 2600-2800 RPM.

Yes it actually is.

Between 2600-2800 RPM is what I do on the highway and I can keep it in overdrive most of the time.

Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
My understanding is the Mellling CCS-1 and the Elgin equivalent are based on the 59 and later GM design that produced improved torque. Those are solid lifter cams.

Is there a hydraulic grind that would more or less match the performance characteristics of the CCS-1 and equivalent?


1951 3100
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
Given the total lack of quality control of the hydraulic lifters that have been produced recently, would there be any good reason to put a juice cam in a stovebolt engine? Melling makes one called a CCS-2 that's hydraulic, and has similar timing and lift to the solid cam.

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Cam-Specs-Stock-294-304.pdf

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Given the total lack of quality control of the hydraulic lifters that have been produced recently, would there be any good reason to put a juice cam in a stovebolt engine? Melling makes one called a CCS-2 that's hydraulic, and has similar timing and lift to the solid cam.

https://www.melling.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Cam-Specs-Stock-294-304.pdf

Jerry

There would be no good reason at all, except that I happen to own a set of NOS GM hydraulic lifters.

wink


1951 3100
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Yhere are some typos in that Melling list. Take IO + IC + 180 should equal same number as duration. Many don't.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
Some cam specs include clearance ramps in the "valve open" numbers, before the valve actually begins to move. The Elgin cam is that way- - - -at least the one I degreed a while back was. Actual hands-on VS internet- - - -again.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
No1300 #1492346 03/15/2023 10:57 PM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Spent about an hour last night googling the usual places for the CCS-1 or the Elgin for my 235 build. No dice, out of stock everywhere. Then this morning I clicked on it through Walmart, of all places. Wife has an online account and orders alot from them. Well whadya know, says 1 left of the CCS-1, so I had her order it. Hopefully their online inventory is correct and it'll indeed show up at my house a week from tomorrow (March 23).

The question then will become which cam bearings do I order for my '55 235? (It uses main bearings without the locator dowel in the top block bearing half, if that's a clue. Bottom cap bearing does have the dowel. Maybe that makes it a late '55 block, I'm not sure. Casting no. 3733949)


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
No1300 #1492348 03/15/2023 11:16 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
That will be a late 55 with the big cam bearings. The bearing set is a Federal-Mogul 1170M or the equivalent part number from another manufacturer. To the best of my knowledge, nobody is making new camshafts with the small bearing sizes used on the earlier engines.

www.ebay.com/itm/194980396446?

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
That will be a late 55 with the big cam bearings. The bearing set is a Federal-Mogul 1170M or the equivalent part number from another manufacturer. To the best of my knowledge, nobody is making new camshafts with the small bearing sizes used on the earlier engines.

www.ebay.com/itm/194980396446?

Jerry
Excellent. Thanks! thumbs_up


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
No1300 #1492366 03/16/2023 12:47 AM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,807
Actually, I believe all the pressure-oiled 235's had the large journal camshaft. The 216 and spray-oiler 235 engines used the cam with the small diameter bearings. Since the small journal cams are so scarce, it's possible to machine the bearing journals of a late model cam down and install it in the earlier block. I'm building an engine based on an early 235 block right now that will have a later model rotating assembly and an Elgin Corvette/261 grind cam, so the title paperwork on the vehicle won't have to be altered. With a little creative whittling on a few vital parts, a lot of stuff that's not supposed to fit can be mated up to work together.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,922
Perhaps you might consider reading it?
CCS-1 SAE Specs@ (0.06/Rocker Arm Ratio)
INT 21° BTC 71° ABC 286° [21 +71 + 180 = 272, not bad, only 14° difference]
EXH 63° BBC 26° ATC 344° [63 + 26 + 180 = 269, 75° difference]

75° of "clearance ramps?"

Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 157
Originally Posted by Skooter
Then this morning I clicked on it through Walmart, of all places....Well whadya know, says 1 left of the CCS-1, so I had her order it. Hopefully their online inventory is correct and it'll indeed show up at my house a week from tomorrow (March 23).

Being able to buy a cam for a vintage engine at a supermarket blows my mind as a German - makes me feel like I'm living in a third world country grin

Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Originally Posted by Stovebold6
Being able to buy a cam for a vintage engine at a supermarket blows my mind as a German - makes me feel like I'm living in a third world country grin

Turned out to not be available after all. frown

Walmart's online ordering seems to be trying to compete with Amazon. Likely shipped from a separate vendor, doubt you'd find such engine parts in a Walmart warehouse or store, they just make it available on their website.


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
No1300 #1493614 03/24/2023 12:58 AM
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
Given lack of availablity for both the CCS-1 and the Elgin 293, what would be the downside to running a plain old 235-specific cam in my 235? That's an odd question because if that's what's intended for a 235 there shouldn't be a downside. After running a 216 for so many years a newly rebuilt stock cam 235 should still blow my mind right? grin

Thats ASSUMING a 235 cam can be found, who knows. ohwell


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
Other 261 GM # 3836484 or 1954 Corvette 3836390 equivalent camshafts you might look for are Sealed Power CS293, Engine Pro MC293, Manley MS293, McQuay-Norris CM293, Republic TC133, Napa 2291293, Dana 2291293. I could not find any of the above, but keep looking you may get lucky. As Dragsix indicated earlier, a regrind is a good alternative and you are not too far from Schneider cams in San Diego. If you can find a new 235 camshaft and lifters, go for it, they will perform as designed.


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Feb 2023
Posts: 103
If you find a cam ensure they have stock. I have ordered, paid and never received the part. Fortunately, after some time, PayPal reimbursed me.


1954 Chevy 1300 engine 235 (1959)
1955 (first series) Chevy 3100 engine 261 (1957)
1927 (other brand) Model T- engine 327 (1968)

Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2017
Posts: 1,652
If you have a used cam that is not totally worn out, have it reground. I like Schneider Cams in San Diego. They can regrind your stock cam to stock specs, or as wild as the core can take, or anything in between. The GM cams were of very good quality metal wise and over the years I have had quite a few reground. In fact I still have a motor I guilt back in the middle 80s with a cam that Chet Herbert reground to .480 280 specs. So there is a pretty good range available for a regrind. New cam blanks are sparse and have been for a while and who knows what the metallurgy looks like. So a regrind may be a very good choice.


Mike
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 3,689
What does a regrind cost?

Last edited by JW51; 03/24/2023 3:38 PM.

1951 3100
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2000
Posts: 734
My old cam has enough wear that the bottoms of lifters are visibly concave. Would that indicate it's too worn?


Matthew 6:33

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Late '55 235/SM420/torque tube 3.55
Dalton Highway survivor (using original 216)
www.truckwithaheart.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0