The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (78buckshot, Simso, Roy Rodgers, Gray_Ghost), 91 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14923 08/27/2004 9:02 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7
Got an old Chevy pickup and a good old 305E V6. Anyone have any idea what I'm going to run into when I mix them? The 50' Chevy has the SM420 4-speed and currently has a blown 235 (blown as in junk---not supercharged!) Thanks!

#14924 08/27/2004 10:10 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Doesn,t sound good to me. That v6 was a big
heavy thing. It had low end torque but very
low on power. It would probably bolt up to
the trans. using the v6 bell housing. you
would have to fabricate engine mounts. A v8
would make a much better conversion. smile


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
#14925 08/27/2004 11:21 PM
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,571
Those old V6s are cool, though. And if you need to move a small building, you'll have plenty of torque! grin


Get a REAL truck, get a GMC! www.oldgmctrucks.com
1954 GMC De Luxe COE
#14926 08/28/2004 3:03 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I would rate it very high on the "cool scale".


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#14927 08/28/2004 3:16 AM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
One thing to remember is that the 305 is about the same rpm engine than the 235. Crankshaft balance is horrible. If you run the engine at sustained revs over 2,700 rpm you will end up with a rod through the block. I know from lots of experience working lumber yards in the late 60s to mid 70s.

And parts are hard to come by.

Besides the gobs of torque, they do have another advantage. You can usually get a running 305 out of a pickup for free.


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#14928 08/29/2004 8:34 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7
B
Junior Member
Junior Member
B Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 7
Thanks for the input! I will be using the v6 for a couple of reasons. First, I already have it. Second, I really love peculiar engines, and the GMC v6 is most definetly that. At a later date (read as money becomes available) I will be either changing my ring and pinion (I understand that I don't have a lot of options on that) or adding an overdrive unit. Until then, the truck will be used primarily for utility and more or less limited from highway use, so I don't plan on running it out too hard. What I really was hoping for is that someone has done this before and already has dimensions on mounts or knows of some weird combination that requires minimal modification. Otherwise, this definetly won't be the first time I've had to fabricate parts!

#14929 08/29/2004 2:01 PM
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jun 2000
Posts: 2,773
If you haven't been there already, here are two of the members pages on GMC trucks. Might be some info you can use.
http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/
http://www.6066gmctrucks.org


Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
#14930 08/29/2004 8:14 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,805
Stock up on aspirin. Those engines are a PITA!

Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
#14931 08/31/2004 3:10 AM
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Apr 2000
Posts: 179
I did see one in 1 1/2 ton AD on e-Bay once, so it can be done. At a minimum I expect you would need to fab the engine and bell housing mounts from scratch, but the SM420 should bolt up to the bell housing. You would definitely be different than most. I've had several 305s over the years and had good luck with them, but I agree that they don't hold up well at high rpms.


Joe McNeel

http://mcneelnet.com/~jmcneel/59.html

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0