The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (2-Ton, rfs56trk, J Lucas, Pete O, Barry Martak), 84 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,489
Members48,444
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
i am doing a frame off conversion on a c50 viking low cab forward. i am trying to add all of the power accessories and i am having lots of trouble finding components to add power steering. i first tried to find a new or rebuilt power steeing gearbox and am not having any luck finding one compatable with the manual gearbox off the truck. then i was told that during this era that they used a power assisted steering system. that one utilized a drag link with a valving system built into it and a cylinder attached to the tie rod. i have not been able to find any "big bolt" system parts available for this system either. if any stovebolters out there have any new or used parts available to fit my truck i would like to hear from you.

thanks,
johnnie mitchell

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
Johnnie,

Power Steering is one of the rarest options on the BIG TF trucks. My 1956 9200 LCF has it. The pump is mounted on the back of the generator. It has the assist cylinder as you discribe. I think it is the same as what you are looking for.

Good luck in your search.

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
My '59 100 series with 348 engine has a separate pump that is nothing like any car/pickup style setup I've ever seen. It sits up high above the driver side valve cover. If I can borrow a digital camera, I'll post some pics.

I would like some new seals for the cylinder as well. If you find somewhere to find these, please share your source.

Lonnie


Lonnie Pavtis
Lonnies Performance Automotive
www.lonniesperformance.com
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,549
Hey Johnnie, Looks like you found a '58 LCF. It will actually be a L50, not a C50. Got any pictures. I had one of those power steering assist cylinders, but I may have sold it already. I'll check my parts stash.


Spanky Hardy
Collector Of Fine Old G.M. COE Trucks & Antique Holmes Wreckers

1948 Chevrolet 5700 COE Holmes HD W35 Wrecker
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1950 GMC 250 1-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
J
Junior Member
Junior Member
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 2
Hey Spanky, yes i found one and i am doing a full frame off restoration on it. I wanted to add power brakes, air & steering. I have the vinage air kit and I have installed a new dual chamber booster brake master cylinder. The power steering is giving me a fit. I thought that it would be easy to find a power steering gearbox to replace the manual gearbox but so far that has not been the case. everything that I find does not mount properly or does not have the proper pitman arm placement or something. I looked at several old trucks today and was wondering if we could make a unit work off of a 1972 chevy school bus. it mounted on the side of the frame and had 2 universal joints in the steering post. if you have the proper parts to make it power steering please let me know.

thanks,
johnnie


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0