The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
When I got my 3600 the left side running board and splash panel were missing. The previous owner had been T-boned and the running board took the brunt of the impact. Supports were also missing. I learned pretty quick these longer running boards were very difficult to find, even used.

We have no more local wreckers and the closest (there's one 2-1/2 hours away and another 6 hours away) focus on newer vehicles for the collision repair sector and I could have spent a month of Sundays trying to find one locally in someone's backyard. I just don't have the time to spend.

I finally located a company that makes new reproduction "Long Box" running boards (for the 3/4 ton, can't speak to the even longer beds). I got these on the "eBay" of all places but I think it is the manufacturer. The only difference I can see is they don't have the beads rolled into em. BUt that's OK. The sheetmetal mounts (between the running boards and the frame supports) the company recommends be glued not welded, which surprised me. I presume because of the flex? At any rate I used panel adhesive, having some experience with that before and no way they will be going anywhere. I got the replacement splash panel from Chevs of the 40s, fit fine.

The support kit I got (the ones that bolt to the frame, not with the running boards themselves) had one of the three that was wayyy too short, I ended up having to weld an extension on that one. Always something.

But the running board itself, it fit really nicely. Very pleased. Heavy gauge steel too, I'm gonna say 16 gauge?

Anyway, I got the board set last year and finally got them prepped, painted and installed. Last bolts went in tonight. No, I haven't done the other side since there is a board on that side. I might later just so they match.

Too much snow out there to take it outside for proper photos yet but looking forward to spring... well... around here that can mean a lotta rain so I better be careful what I wish for I guess.
Attachments
Primed.jpg (42.68 KB, 115 downloads)
Painted.jpg (47.47 KB, 115 downloads)
supports.jpg (36.41 KB, 115 downloads)
running board.jpg (36.38 KB, 115 downloads)


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Online: Content
Joined: Oct 2021
Posts: 6,804
What company makes those?


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Otto Skorzeny
What company makes those?

Yes sorry I meant to include that in my post!

I got them from a seller called "ammuscle" American Muscle Car LLC and I **think** they actually make these themselves. I could be mistaken.


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
I didn’t know what you meant by “beads” , but looking at the images - the repro running board is flat , as in no longitudinal ribs?

Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Joined: May 2015
Posts: 11,067
Yes, those longitudinal ribs in most running boards (not NorthCoast's reproductions) are called beads in the sheet metal trade, put in by a machine called a bead roller, although they may have been stamped all at once on factory running boards as part of the forming process.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2020
Posts: 788
Beads then.
I would think that they served as stiffeners.

Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Mar 2020
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Waveski
Beads then.
I would think that they served as stiffeners.

Yes they would have. These new ones are a heavy enough gauge steel that I can't imagine it would matter.

I have a bead roller and have tried rolling those beads out over long lengths using a fence, but they end up warping the steel beyond salvation.

So, I'm quite happy to have these.


1949 Chevrolet 3/4 Ton - Still Solid. Regular Driver
OT Vehicles:
1925 Hudson Brougham Super Six
1950 Chevrolet Styline (Parts)
1952 Canuck Pontiac Sedan Delivery (Well Underway)
1973 F250 4x4 Highboy
1977 F250 4x4 Lowboy

Moderated by  klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0